Stevens toasts return with a goal but Wisbech Town’s unbeaten run is halted by Brantham Athletic
LOANEE striker Ash Stevens toasted his return to Wisbech Town with a goal - but the Fenmen’s seven game unbeaten run was halted by Brantham Athletic.
Steve Appleby’s side, who also went undefeated in seven pre-season games, missed a host of chances in the 2-1 loss at Brantham, who finished the game with nine players.
The depleted Fenmen, who were missing key forwards Dubi Ogbonna and Chris Bacon, went behind in the 35th minute but drew level five minutes into the second half.
Stevens, on a short-term loan deal from Spalding, slotted the ball underneath the ‘keeper to score his first goal in a Wisbech shirt since he left the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium last year.
But Brantham went back in front eight minutes later and, despite the hosts having two players sent off late on, Wisbech were unable to find an equaliser.
You may also want to watch:
The defeat leaves the Fenmen second in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, five points adrift of early leaders Dereham Town.
Wisbech host former Conference side Kettering Town in a dream FA Cup clash on Saturday.
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 3 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Dad has 'much more energy to run around' with son after losing four stone
- 6 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 7 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 8 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 9 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 10 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless