Stevens toasts return with a goal but Wisbech Town’s unbeaten run is halted by Brantham Athletic
LOANEE striker Ash Stevens toasted his return to Wisbech Town with a goal - but the Fenmen’s seven game unbeaten run was halted by Brantham Athletic.
Steve Appleby’s side, who also went undefeated in seven pre-season games, missed a host of chances in the 2-1 loss at Brantham, who finished the game with nine players.
The depleted Fenmen, who were missing key forwards Dubi Ogbonna and Chris Bacon, went behind in the 35th minute but drew level five minutes into the second half.
Stevens, on a short-term loan deal from Spalding, slotted the ball underneath the ‘keeper to score his first goal in a Wisbech shirt since he left the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium last year.
But Brantham went back in front eight minutes later and, despite the hosts having two players sent off late on, Wisbech were unable to find an equaliser.
You may also want to watch:
The defeat leaves the Fenmen second in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, five points adrift of early leaders Dereham Town.
Wisbech host former Conference side Kettering Town in a dream FA Cup clash on Saturday.
- 1 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 2 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 3 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 4 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 5 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 6 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 7 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 8 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 9 Heated dining pod and covered decking area at restaurant after garden makeover
- 10 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’