Stevens toasts return with a goal but Wisbech Town’s unbeaten run is halted by Brantham Athletic
LOANEE striker Ash Stevens toasted his return to Wisbech Town with a goal - but the Fenmen’s seven game unbeaten run was halted by Brantham Athletic.
Steve Appleby’s side, who also went undefeated in seven pre-season games, missed a host of chances in the 2-1 loss at Brantham, who finished the game with nine players.
The depleted Fenmen, who were missing key forwards Dubi Ogbonna and Chris Bacon, went behind in the 35th minute but drew level five minutes into the second half.
Stevens, on a short-term loan deal from Spalding, slotted the ball underneath the ‘keeper to score his first goal in a Wisbech shirt since he left the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium last year.
But Brantham went back in front eight minutes later and, despite the hosts having two players sent off late on, Wisbech were unable to find an equaliser.
The defeat leaves the Fenmen second in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, five points adrift of early leaders Dereham Town.
Wisbech host former Conference side Kettering Town in a dream FA Cup clash on Saturday.
- 1 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 2 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 3 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 4 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 5 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 6 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 7 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 8 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 9 Could you give these pets a home?
- 10 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road