Stevens toasts return with a goal but Wisbech Town’s unbeaten run is halted by Brantham Athletic
LOANEE striker Ash Stevens toasted his return to Wisbech Town with a goal - but the Fenmen’s seven game unbeaten run was halted by Brantham Athletic.
Steve Appleby’s side, who also went undefeated in seven pre-season games, missed a host of chances in the 2-1 loss at Brantham, who finished the game with nine players.
The depleted Fenmen, who were missing key forwards Dubi Ogbonna and Chris Bacon, went behind in the 35th minute but drew level five minutes into the second half.
Stevens, on a short-term loan deal from Spalding, slotted the ball underneath the ‘keeper to score his first goal in a Wisbech shirt since he left the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium last year.
But Brantham went back in front eight minutes later and, despite the hosts having two players sent off late on, Wisbech were unable to find an equaliser.
You may also want to watch:
The defeat leaves the Fenmen second in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, five points adrift of early leaders Dereham Town.
Wisbech host former Conference side Kettering Town in a dream FA Cup clash on Saturday.
- 1 Girl, 15, in late night stand-off with train on rural line
- 2 Pupils thrilled to take next step towards England dream
- 3 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 4 ‘Shovel-ready’ mayor brings key schemes back from the brink
- 5 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 6 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 7 What are the outstanding and good schools in Cambridgeshire?
- 8 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 9 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 10 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now