Striker Bacon backs Wisbech Town to fire without him in crucial FA Vase clash
- Credit: Archant
STRIKER Chris Bacon is backing Wisbech Town to fire without him tomorrow as the Fenmen bid to book their place in the last 16 of the FA Vase.
The frontman has been a hit at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium, scoring 48 goals for the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division title-challengers in little more than a season-and-a-half.
But he is suspended for tomorrow’s fourth-round trip to Gornal Athletic after being sent off for retaliation against Godmanchester Rovers on Boxing Day.
“I’m completely choked,” said Bacon. “But that’s part and parcel of what happens when you start making silly mistakes on a football pitch. It was a moment of madness from me.
“I’m 29 but I’m still learning. You never stop learning as I can see the result of my actions - I’m going to miss this vital game.
“I’ve just got to take it on the chin and go and support the boys from the sidelines.”
Bacon backed top-scorer Dubi Ogbonna and winger Deakan Napier, who could be employed up front, to fire the Fenmen into the next round.
- 1 Drug-driver killed co-worker on B1101 Elm Road in March
- 2 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 3 Jailed: 58-year-old burglar who stole £57,000 BMW M4 in Wisbech
- 4 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 5 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 6 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 7 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 8 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 9 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 10 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
“From a selfish point of view I’m upset that I’m missing the game,” he said. “But from a team point of view I’ve got every confidence in the boys.
“I’ve got so much belief in the lads and Apps (Steve Appleby) is doing a great job.”