Striker Bacon backs Wisbech Town to fire without him in crucial FA Vase clash
- Credit: Archant
STRIKER Chris Bacon is backing Wisbech Town to fire without him tomorrow as the Fenmen bid to book their place in the last 16 of the FA Vase.
The frontman has been a hit at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium, scoring 48 goals for the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division title-challengers in little more than a season-and-a-half.
But he is suspended for tomorrow’s fourth-round trip to Gornal Athletic after being sent off for retaliation against Godmanchester Rovers on Boxing Day.
“I’m completely choked,” said Bacon. “But that’s part and parcel of what happens when you start making silly mistakes on a football pitch. It was a moment of madness from me.
“I’m 29 but I’m still learning. You never stop learning as I can see the result of my actions - I’m going to miss this vital game.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve just got to take it on the chin and go and support the boys from the sidelines.”
Bacon backed top-scorer Dubi Ogbonna and winger Deakan Napier, who could be employed up front, to fire the Fenmen into the next round.
- 1 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 2 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 6 9 never to be forgotten moments from Cambridgeshire politicians
- 7 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 8 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 9 Motor cyclist killed in March crash
- 10 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
“From a selfish point of view I’m upset that I’m missing the game,” he said. “But from a team point of view I’ve got every confidence in the boys.
“I’ve got so much belief in the lads and Apps (Steve Appleby) is doing a great job.”