Strong defence the key for Wisbech Grammar
- Credit: Archant
Rugby Wisbech Grammar A 10 Oundle School A 0
Wisbech’s A team wrapped up a comprehensive 10-0 victory against Oundle School.
Both sides attacked strongly and displayed their defensive skills, but the Wisbech Grammar School girls posted the opening points on the board.
With the help of tackles from Laura Temple and Hettie West and powerful scrummaging by Charley Brown and Bridey de Jong-Daly, Adrienne Burt pierced Oundle’s defence to score the game’s first try.
As Nicole Rowell stepped up to scrum half Wisbech took control of the game against a strong opposition. A second sprint down the wing by West was quickly halted by a solid tackle, but Victoria Murphy was on her heels to pick up the ball and score the second try of the match.
You may also want to watch:
Oundle maintained the pressure, but never quite made it to the try line, and the result was a well deserved victory for Wisbech Grammar School.
Wisbech Grammar B 17
- 1 It's a family affair as planners consider five luxury homes
- 2 Three stores evacuated after suspect 'bomb scare'
- 3 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 4 Police warn you may run but you can't hide from us
- 5 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 6 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 7 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 8 Hares hit five, Wisbech win, Whittlesey victorious as Drove triumph
- 9 Chatteris firm with £20m growth plan
- 10 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
Oundle School B 21
Spurred on by the A team’s success, Wisbech’s B side prepared for a challenging encounter against bigger opponents.
Oundle were quick off the mark to score the first try and then convert it, but Nicole Rowell fought back to equalize, and a conversion made the game neck and neck.
In a breakdown in Oundle’s play just before the half-time whistle Emily Wood showed quick thinking, allowing Alexandra Ford to make a break down the right wing to score her first try of the season.
In the second half Oundle piled on the pressure, snatching two lightning tries and converting them.
However, Wisbech responded, with Heather Newport and newcomer Claire Billingham making big tackles. Samantha Morris pushed the attack forward, allowing Amber Jones to breach the defence and score under the posts, narrowing the final points deficit to a margin of just four points.