Beckett resigns as Wisbech St Mary manager
- Credit: Stuart Beckett
Stuart Beckett has today stepped down as manager of Wisbech St Mary FC.
Beckett leaves the club bottom of the Eastern Counties League First Division North, having lost all nine league games so far this season.
The decision comes after Saints lost 11-0 at Norwich CBS on Saturday, October 9.
In a statement, Beckett said: "I am disappointed to announce that I will be leaving as first team manager.
"Yesterday was a very low point on which to leave, but the club has rightly taken time to appoint the right person to reinvigorate the club."
Beckett said the decision has "not been taken lightly" and thanked the club for its support.
"As a club, we have attempted to negotiate some of the hardest times in football, as well as in life too," the statement continued.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 3 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 7 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 8 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 9 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 10 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
"Whilst I still retain my personal drive to improve everything I do, my hope and optimism has been diminished by player and personnel commitment and approach following such unprecedented times."
Beckett added: "I wish my successor all the best and I'm looking forward to spending some much needed time with my family and seeing WSMFC on the rise."
Since taking over from Alex Kaufman in February last year, Beckett has won once as Saints boss, that victory coming on October 31, 2020 against Diss Town.
Ex-Swaffham Town boss Paul Hunt has been appointed as new first team manager and begins his tenure with a league clash against Huntingdon Town on October 16.