Stuart sets his sights on national tournaments
GUYHIRN martial artist Stuart Murat has the UK Championships in his sights following a morale-boosting performance in his first ever England Championships. Stuart, 11, who studies with the Carter School of Taekwon-do, in Wisbech, joined more than 250 oth
GUYHIRN martial artist Stuart Murat has the UK Championships in his sights following a morale-boosting performance in his first ever England Championships.
Stuart, 11, who studies with the Carter School of Taekwon-do, in Wisbech, joined more than 250 other competitors from across the country in the fiercely competitive tournament, in Crawley.
Stuart was entered in to the under-13 patterns, sparring and special techniques categories.
Despite missing out on medals, he enjoyed the experience.
Stuart said: "It was my first national competition and I learned a lot. The best thing about the tournament was meeting the Grand Master Rhee, the president of the International Taekwon-do Federation.
"He signed my programme and gave me lots of encouragement."
- 1 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
- 2 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 3 Missing woman back home
- 4 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 5 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 6 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 7 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 8 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 9 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 10 Family's questions over Covid death of beloved hospital care worker
Stuart will be competing with his mum, Dawn, in the Cambridgeshire Open Championships before turning his attention to the UK Championships, to be held in Sheffield, in November.
Stuart said: "I am going to work really hard over the next few weeks so that I can do the very best I can."
The Carter School of Taekwon-do trains at the Hudson Leisure Centre, Wisbech, on Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings. Classes run from 6pm to 7pm and a student's first lesson is free.