Stunning performance from Fenland Running Club at 197-mile Round Norfolk Relay
- Credit: Archant
Fenland Running Club pulled out all the stops over the weekend by fielding two teams in the epic Round Norfolk Relay.
The popular team event is the longest non-stop multi-terrain relay race in the UK, with 17 stages tracing the boundary of Norfolk over 197 miles.
With 54 teams competing, the first FRC team not only managed to beat the previous FRC best time, knocking three minutes off to make the record 22 hours 51 minutes and 43 seconds, but finished sixth overall.
They also won the Mixed Team category for the second year in a row, setting a new record for this category.
The second FRC team finished 30th overall in 26 hours 16 minutes 49 secs and were 12th in their category.
You may also want to watch:
The best placed runner for FRC was Paul Griffin, captain of the Mixed Team, who finished third overall on his stage.
Results: Stage 1, 16.3 miles Andrew Plume 6th 1:47:59; Tim Chapman 15th 1:59:37; Stage 2, 14.1 miles Paul Griffin (Team Captain) 3rd 1:36:56; John Chapman 23rd 1:50:01; Stage 3, 5.8 miles Katie Ward 18th 0:45:58; Denise Griffin 43rd 0:54:15; Stage 4, 11.1 miles Maire Irlam 18th 1:25:50; Alan Bird (Team Captain) 23rd 1:29:43; Stage 5, 10.8 miles Ryan Jones 8th 1:20:10; Stuart Follen 21st 1:28:16; Stage 6, 7.9 miles Nicky Jennings 15th 0:58:46; Larissa Follen 39th 1:09:35; Stage 7, 9.2 miles Graham Milham 13th 1:04:12; Paulina Zub 38th 1:16:11; Stage 8, 7.5 miles Ellen Drew 18th 0:55:21; Neil Bailey 41st 1:05:34; Stage 9, 17.9 miles Sean Connolly 6th 1:59:22; Dan Wate 38th 2:24:13; Stage 10, 14.7 miles Martin Jennings 5th 1:31:36; Tom Richards 28th 1:50:51; Stage 11 12.5 miles Melanie Trayford 15th 1:28:52; Stewart Harrison 24th 1:33:04; Stage 12 19.7 miles Shane Draper 11th 2:13:49; Andre Pittock 27th 2:26:52; Stage 13 13.3 miles Rod Sinnott 14th 1:29:19; Marc Martin 47th 1:52:29; Stage 14 7.3 miles Jay Gilbert 15th 0:55:15; Ramune Raicheleine 35th 35th 1:00:16; Stage 15 10.6 miles Richard Hammond 6th 1;07:29; Jane Greenwood 47th 1:33:54; Stage 16 5.5 miles Claudia Milburn 18th 0:40:45; Julie Garner 40th 0:48:52; Stage 17 11.7 miles Sarah Gauvin 31st 1:30:31; Ian Milburn 36th 1:33:06.
- 1 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 4 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 5 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 6 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 7 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 8 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 9 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 10 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road