LOCAL FOOTBALL: Table-topping Chatteris Town make it 11 wins in a row
- Credit: Archant
Chatteris Town are within three victories of Cambridgeshire County League promotion.
The Lilies eased to a 2-0 success against Cottenham United last Saturday to maintain an eight-point cushion at the top of the Kershaw Senior A Division standings.
Gary Smith, the leading scorer at that level, grabbed both goals for Alex Kaufman’s side who have now won 11 successive games in all competitions.
He broke the deadlock in the first half and then sealed victory when striking directly from a corner late on. Smith has now hit 25 goals this term.
“It was a professional performance that moves us another three points closer to promotion,” said boss Kaufman.
“I’m delighted with the way the squad has performed this season and even when we have had a rough patch performance-wise, we have still managed to pick up results.
“Winning 11 games in a row is something we’re all really proud about and we know that winning three of our remaining six league matches will get us promotion.”
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 Wenny Meadow home to rare 'false scorpions', says hidden report
- 4 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 5 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 6 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Motorbike set on fire in arson attack
- 9 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 10 Karen’s three-course lunch with Mayor of Wisbech
Chatteris are without a fixture this Saturday but return to action on February 23 when going to fellow Kershaw Senior A Division side Milton in a Cambs William Coad Intermediate Cup semi-final.