LOCAL FOOTBALL: Table-topping Chatteris Town make it 11 wins in a row
- Credit: Archant
Chatteris Town are within three victories of Cambridgeshire County League promotion.
The Lilies eased to a 2-0 success against Cottenham United last Saturday to maintain an eight-point cushion at the top of the Kershaw Senior A Division standings.
Gary Smith, the leading scorer at that level, grabbed both goals for Alex Kaufman’s side who have now won 11 successive games in all competitions.
He broke the deadlock in the first half and then sealed victory when striking directly from a corner late on. Smith has now hit 25 goals this term.
“It was a professional performance that moves us another three points closer to promotion,” said boss Kaufman.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m delighted with the way the squad has performed this season and even when we have had a rough patch performance-wise, we have still managed to pick up results.
“Winning 11 games in a row is something we’re all really proud about and we know that winning three of our remaining six league matches will get us promotion.”
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 3 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 4 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 5 March Town mark long-awaited step five return with opening day defeat
- 6 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 7 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 8 ‘Shovel-ready’ mayor brings key schemes back from the brink
- 9 Alleged paedophile released on bail
- 10 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
Chatteris are without a fixture this Saturday but return to action on February 23 when going to fellow Kershaw Senior A Division side Milton in a Cambs William Coad Intermediate Cup semi-final.