Talent pool: Fenland swimmers celebrate after weekend of finals, records and trophies
CLUB records were broken, personal bests were smashed and trophies were lifted as swimmers from March and Wisbech starred at the Junior Fenland League finals.
Wisbech Swimming Club claimed a magnificent fourth place in the A-class final while March Marlins recorded their second gala triumph of the month in the C-class final.
An incredible 32 personal best times paved the way for Wisbech’s success at the Hudson Leisure Centre at the weekend. Competing in the A-class final for the first time in more than a decade, the club’s swimmers racked up 115 points.
Billy Wilkshire, Emily Kelly, Jack Lane, James Dobler and Megan Kierman led the way with first places, while Olivia Gallon impressed on her debut. Lane also smashed club records in the 50m breaststroke and 50m backstroke.
Manager Graham Kelly praised the club’s 36 swimmers for their efforts in competition and training.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, March Marlins manager Mark McGowen jumped in the pool fully-clothed to celebrate his team’s success in the C-class final.
The Marlins smashed 29 personal bests and recorded 153 points as they beat First Strokes, Grantham, St Neots and Huntingdon to claim the silverware.
- 1 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 2 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 3 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 4 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 5 Sandbags available ahead as Storm Christoph arrives
- 6 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 7 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 8 ‘Boris should try to fill in the forms if he thinks they’re so simple’
- 9 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 10 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
First places went to Liam Cole, Daniela Sarkovica, Gemma McGowen, Luke Cable, Katie McGowen, Katerina Caikovskaja, Nat Cook, Siobhan Halliday, Jake Hoy, Kahra Cottam and Luke Hemsley.
The 8x25m freestyle relay team, made up of Caikovskaja, Hoy, Cable, Halliday, Gemma McGowen, Alfie McIntyre, Charlie Revell and Katie McGowen, were also triumphant.
Manager McGowen thanked the swimmers, coaches, teachers and committee members for their help on the night and throughout the season.