Taylor says players deserve “massive credit” as Doddington United become champions after thumping Swavesey win
- Credit: Archant
Doddington United have been crowned Kershaw Senior B champions with a game to spare.
Ashley Taylor’s men wrapped up the title with a 5-0 win at Swavesey Institute. Goalscorers were Craig Gillies (2), Jermaine Watson, Jack Saunders and James Harness.
Taylor said: “It was a good, old night. After a long, old season, it was great to get the title wrapped up. We celebrated in style with champagne.”
The club has enjoyed a meteoric rise - they are celebrating back to back promotions. And there is a cup final against Godmanchester Rovers Reserves to look forward to.
Taylor said: “After we got promotion last year we did strengthen the team but it was only a few players, nothing drastic.
“I felt confident we would do well. Against higher level opposition, we felt comfortable. We’ve managed to maintain consistency.
“The lads have been dedicated, It’s been the same 16 playing week in, week out. They deserve massive credit. I’m really proud of them.
- 1 Cable fault caused power cut for more than 350 customers in Wisbech
- 2 PROFILE: Steve Barclay – MP for NE Cambs and front man for Boris Johnson
- 3 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 4 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 5 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 6 Replacement home not good enough says council
- 7 Large Hotel of the Year winner is proud of its history
- 8 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 9 March set to light a beacon for Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Man who ran 'fly-tippers paradise’ faces £32,000 bill
“Our main aim was to win the league. Doing that has given us a buzz. Now we want to go on and win the cup.”
Outwell Swifts will join them in Kershaw Senior A next season if Orwell fail to beat Hardwick Reserves tonight. Otherwise, they will need a point from their final game of the campaign against Godmanchester Rovers Reserves.