Taylor says players deserve “massive credit” as Doddington United become champions after thumping Swavesey win
- Credit: Archant
Doddington United have been crowned Kershaw Senior B champions with a game to spare.
Ashley Taylor’s men wrapped up the title with a 5-0 win at Swavesey Institute. Goalscorers were Craig Gillies (2), Jermaine Watson, Jack Saunders and James Harness.
Taylor said: “It was a good, old night. After a long, old season, it was great to get the title wrapped up. We celebrated in style with champagne.”
The club has enjoyed a meteoric rise - they are celebrating back to back promotions. And there is a cup final against Godmanchester Rovers Reserves to look forward to.
Taylor said: “After we got promotion last year we did strengthen the team but it was only a few players, nothing drastic.
You may also want to watch:
“I felt confident we would do well. Against higher level opposition, we felt comfortable. We’ve managed to maintain consistency.
“The lads have been dedicated, It’s been the same 16 playing week in, week out. They deserve massive credit. I’m really proud of them.
- 1 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
- 2 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 3 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 4 Commuter chaos as van blaze causes miles of congestion
- 5 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 6 Firefighters attempted to resuscitate suspected murder victim
- 7 Count admits he 'must carry personally' some blame for losses
- 8 Suspected drink lorry driver threw whiskey and wine bottle from cab
- 9 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
“Our main aim was to win the league. Doing that has given us a buzz. Now we want to go on and win the cup.”
Outwell Swifts will join them in Kershaw Senior A next season if Orwell fail to beat Hardwick Reserves tonight. Otherwise, they will need a point from their final game of the campaign against Godmanchester Rovers Reserves.