Teenage star Friend on target in 2-1 win as Wisbech Town reach quarter-finals
WISBECH Town’s youngest star Jack Friend bagged his second goal for the club last night as the Fenmen powered into the quarter-finals of the Red Insure Cup.
At just 16 years and eight days old, Friend became Wisbech’s youngest goalscorer with a debut strike in November’s league win over Thetford Town.
And it was Thetford who were on the receiving end again last night as Steve Appleby’s troops claimed a 2-1 victory at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium.
The Fenmen had to come from behind, though, after Dan Morphew gave the visitors a 20th-minute lead in the twice-rearranged fixture.
Friend hit back five minutes later with a poacher’s finish before Neal Spafford grabbed the winner on the half hour mark.
You may also want to watch:
The win means Wisbech will visit Kirkley & Pakefield in the quarter-finals on January 30.
The Fenmen visit high-flying Walsham-le-Willows in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division on Saturday.
- 1 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 2 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 3 'Big red key' used by cops in dawn raid on suspected drug dealers
- 4 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 5 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 6 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 7 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 8 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 9 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 10 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
• For full reaction to last night’s cup win see Friday’s paper