Teenage star Friend on target in 2-1 win as Wisbech Town reach quarter-finals
WISBECH Town’s youngest star Jack Friend bagged his second goal for the club last night as the Fenmen powered into the quarter-finals of the Red Insure Cup.
At just 16 years and eight days old, Friend became Wisbech’s youngest goalscorer with a debut strike in November’s league win over Thetford Town.
And it was Thetford who were on the receiving end again last night as Steve Appleby’s troops claimed a 2-1 victory at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium.
The Fenmen had to come from behind, though, after Dan Morphew gave the visitors a 20th-minute lead in the twice-rearranged fixture.
Friend hit back five minutes later with a poacher’s finish before Neal Spafford grabbed the winner on the half hour mark.
You may also want to watch:
The win means Wisbech will visit Kirkley & Pakefield in the quarter-finals on January 30.
The Fenmen visit high-flying Walsham-le-Willows in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division on Saturday.
- 1 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 2 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 3 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 4 Missing dog found thanks to drone footage
- 5 Five generations of family members meet up for the first time
- 6 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 7 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 8 HMO plans submitted for village pub
- 9 Heroin worth £1.7m found in holdall in car in St Neots
- 10 Motorist crashes into telephone pole at Wyton
• For full reaction to last night’s cup win see Friday’s paper