Teenage star Friend on target in 2-1 win as Wisbech Town reach quarter-finals
WISBECH Town’s youngest star Jack Friend bagged his second goal for the club last night as the Fenmen powered into the quarter-finals of the Red Insure Cup.
At just 16 years and eight days old, Friend became Wisbech’s youngest goalscorer with a debut strike in November’s league win over Thetford Town.
And it was Thetford who were on the receiving end again last night as Steve Appleby’s troops claimed a 2-1 victory at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium.
The Fenmen had to come from behind, though, after Dan Morphew gave the visitors a 20th-minute lead in the twice-rearranged fixture.
Friend hit back five minutes later with a poacher’s finish before Neal Spafford grabbed the winner on the half hour mark.
You may also want to watch:
The win means Wisbech will visit Kirkley & Pakefield in the quarter-finals on January 30.
The Fenmen visit high-flying Walsham-le-Willows in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division on Saturday.
- 1 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 2 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 3 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 4 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 5 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
- 6 'Police repeatedly failed me' over noisy neighbour saga, claims resident
- 7 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 8 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 9 Welcome relief as hairdresser back at care home
- 10 Count admits he 'must carry personally' some blame for losses
• For full reaction to last night’s cup win see Friday’s paper