TENNIS: Classy Cameron Smart climbs the singles ladder for Chatteris St Peters
- Credit: Archant
Members of Chatteris St Peters Tennis Club enjoyed a very successful Bank Holiday weekend.
The Cambridgeshire LTA Club of the Year got off to a winning start for the summer league season thanks to the Ladies team of Barbara Spilka, Emma Norman, Cindy Burnley and Lorraine Godfrey recording a home win against Gransden Ladies 6-2 last Friday.
That success was followed up by the Men’s team, of Simon Grainger, Andrew Fox, Charlie Gienke and Alan Pater recording a similar 6-2 win away at Milton on Monday.
Last Saturday, members took part in the first of two singles ladder tournaments scheduled for this year.
The outstanding performance of the day was by the youngest competitor, 15-year-old Cameron Smart, who rose to second on the ladder with a 6-4 defeat of Simon Grainger.
You may also want to watch:
In a tightly fought final match against Andrew Fox, Cameron narrowly missed out on securing the top spot by failing to convert two match points in the final game, resulting in Andrew securing victory with a 6-5 win.
- 1 Woman killed and four hospitalised after crash
- 2 The Great British Sunday is a rush to the pumps not the piers
- 3 Pair questioned amid probe into catalytic converter thefts
- 4 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 5 'Emotional' quartet complete 10k for villager Paul
- 6 Man arrested after suspected drink or drug-fuelled A141 crash
- 7 Youth with 'police style baton' caught out by CCTV
- 8 Victim left with serious injuries after McDonald's car park attack
- 9 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 10 Ledger discovery affords a glimpse of Victorian travel