TENNIS: Classy Cameron Smart climbs the singles ladder for Chatteris St Peters
- Credit: Archant
Members of Chatteris St Peters Tennis Club enjoyed a very successful Bank Holiday weekend.
The Cambridgeshire LTA Club of the Year got off to a winning start for the summer league season thanks to the Ladies team of Barbara Spilka, Emma Norman, Cindy Burnley and Lorraine Godfrey recording a home win against Gransden Ladies 6-2 last Friday.
That success was followed up by the Men’s team, of Simon Grainger, Andrew Fox, Charlie Gienke and Alan Pater recording a similar 6-2 win away at Milton on Monday.
Last Saturday, members took part in the first of two singles ladder tournaments scheduled for this year.
The outstanding performance of the day was by the youngest competitor, 15-year-old Cameron Smart, who rose to second on the ladder with a 6-4 defeat of Simon Grainger.
You may also want to watch:
In a tightly fought final match against Andrew Fox, Cameron narrowly missed out on securing the top spot by failing to convert two match points in the final game, resulting in Andrew securing victory with a 6-5 win.
- 1 Recycling firm goes bust ahead of £55,000 court fines and costs
- 2 'Numerous cars' in roundabout crash
- 3 Lidl lists Cambridgeshire locations for ‘potential store development’
- 4 Man hails social media after finding stolen dumper in under 48 hours
- 5 Woman escapes unharmed after car and bus B1101 crash
- 6 ‘I’m tired of being fobbed off’ says customer of Wisbech builder
- 7 Plans for multi-million pound training school given green light
- 8 Spotted in Ely founder Mark Cooney dies
- 9 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 10 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash