TENNIS: Classy Cameron Smart climbs the singles ladder for Chatteris St Peters
- Credit: Archant
Members of Chatteris St Peters Tennis Club enjoyed a very successful Bank Holiday weekend.
The Cambridgeshire LTA Club of the Year got off to a winning start for the summer league season thanks to the Ladies team of Barbara Spilka, Emma Norman, Cindy Burnley and Lorraine Godfrey recording a home win against Gransden Ladies 6-2 last Friday.
That success was followed up by the Men’s team, of Simon Grainger, Andrew Fox, Charlie Gienke and Alan Pater recording a similar 6-2 win away at Milton on Monday.
Last Saturday, members took part in the first of two singles ladder tournaments scheduled for this year.
The outstanding performance of the day was by the youngest competitor, 15-year-old Cameron Smart, who rose to second on the ladder with a 6-4 defeat of Simon Grainger.
In a tightly fought final match against Andrew Fox, Cameron narrowly missed out on securing the top spot by failing to convert two match points in the final game, resulting in Andrew securing victory with a 6-5 win.
- 1 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 2 £14.6m school transformation complete after two-year project
- 3 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 4 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 5 Mini-convoy marks funeral of 'kind-hearted' lorry driver
- 6 Suspected poachers caught in farmyard raid as cops crackdown continues
- 7 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
- 8 Wife pays tribute to ex-footballer who 'I could always rely on'
- 9 Jury challenged to consider 'substantial body of evidence' pointing to Rikki's killer
- 10 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'