TENNIS: Classy Cameron Smart climbs the singles ladder for Chatteris St Peters
- Credit: Archant
Members of Chatteris St Peters Tennis Club enjoyed a very successful Bank Holiday weekend.
The Cambridgeshire LTA Club of the Year got off to a winning start for the summer league season thanks to the Ladies team of Barbara Spilka, Emma Norman, Cindy Burnley and Lorraine Godfrey recording a home win against Gransden Ladies 6-2 last Friday.
That success was followed up by the Men’s team, of Simon Grainger, Andrew Fox, Charlie Gienke and Alan Pater recording a similar 6-2 win away at Milton on Monday.
Last Saturday, members took part in the first of two singles ladder tournaments scheduled for this year.
The outstanding performance of the day was by the youngest competitor, 15-year-old Cameron Smart, who rose to second on the ladder with a 6-4 defeat of Simon Grainger.
You may also want to watch:
In a tightly fought final match against Andrew Fox, Cameron narrowly missed out on securing the top spot by failing to convert two match points in the final game, resulting in Andrew securing victory with a 6-5 win.
- 1 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 2 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 3 Residents escape kitchen fire after bank holiday blaze
- 4 Retrospective bid for travellers' site
- 5 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 6 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 7 12 exciting new businesses to discover when lockdown restrictions ease
- 8 Former homeless recreate ‘Lunch atop a Skyscraper’ photograph
- 9 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely
- 10 Alligator-owning farmer stars in new Ross Kemp ITV documentary