Tennis clubs across Fenland gear up for summer season as hot spell continues
AS summer quickly approaches tennis enthusiasts flocked to Wisbech Tennis Club to take part in their first tournament of the season on Sunday.
Several members and non members grabbed their rackets to compete in the John Bown Memorial Trophy which was won by Margret Pendall who triumphed in 22 games. Richard Miers finished runner-up after winning 20 games.
With the grass court season just starting the club are still looking for new members. Club sessions are held on Monday and Thursday evenings, Sunday mornings and Wednesday afternoons. Adult coaching is held on Tuesday and Friday evenings and Tuesday and Thursday mornings.
For further information on the club contact Jane Page on 07747637648 or for information about coaching contact Lisa Kennedy on 07788857502.
• CHATTERIS St Peter Tennis Club’s new season has begun and they will host an afternoon of ‘social’ tennis on Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
Play begins at 2pm at the club, situated off St Peter’s Drive in Chatteris, before a BBQ for players, friends and families will be enjoyed. All - including spectators - are welcome.
The club plays both social and competitive tennis and has five teams in the Hunts and Peterborough League playing men’s, ladies and mixed tennis. Free taster sessions are on offer before players decide to join the club.
- 1 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 2 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 3 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 4 Photographer captures the ‘sonic boom’ RAF Typhoon on camera
- 5 Tributes to 'loving, kind family man' and community stalwart
- 6 Gin could be just the tonic needed for dilapidated farm buildings
- 7 Pedestrian dies at scene of crash
- 8 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 9 Minor injury unit closes to allow staff to respond to crisis in the community
- 10 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
Club nights are held on Mondays and Wednesdays from 6pm onwards and coach is also available for adults and juniors, members and non members and for both experienced players and beginners.
For further details on the club contact Shona Kent on 01354 655363.