The Avenue in March “honoured” to host Australia cricket tour match
- Credit: Archant
The Aussies are coming to town! No, not Michael Clarke and Mitchell Johnson, but their Over 60s+ Ashes touring side.
They are in the UK to play England Veterans in two one-day Tests and a two-day Test and will be at The Avenue, March on Thursday, June 25 to play the local county as one of their warm-up matches.
“Only selected counties in England have been asked to host these matches, so it is a massive honour for us and a prestigious game for March Town CC,” said Pat Ringham, a long-standing March club member and player/manager of Cambs/Hunts Over 60s.
“We regularly play against nine or 10 of the England side in our normal national league group games, but this will be different as we will be up against 11 internationals on the same day. But don’t expect to see Jeff Thomson or Dennis Lillee - that’s not going to happen. The Aussies are like us - normal club cricketers, who don’t know when to retire from the game.”
England regular Nick Andrews, who a fortnight ago bagged the man of the match for his five wicket exploits versus Scotland, will be missing from the Cambs/Hunts side, although reinforcements are being drafted in from nearby Norfolk in the shape of two England players - John Lund and Trevor Shailes.
“Our 2nd XI have a game the same day, so we needed to beef up the line-up with two of our regulars missing,” said Ringham.
Expected to accompany Ringham in the Cambs/Hunts line-up will be his March team-mate Stuart Arnold and Wisbech Town’s Stuart Unwin, who has skippered the side since being formed four seasons ago.
- 1 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 2 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 3 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 4 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 5 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 6 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 7 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 8 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 9 Could you give these pets a home?
- 10 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
The game, sponsored by Charles Wells, will be 45 overs per side, with play starting at 1pm.
Cambs/Hunts are expected to field the following team: Stuart Unwin (Wisbech), Pat Ringham (March), David Baker (Granta), Mick Ketteridge (Horseheath), Alan Rodger (St Giles), Stuart Arnold (March), Mick Douglas (Barrington), Ian McNulty (Sawston/Babraham), Pat Ellerbeck (Waresley), John Lund (Norfolk), Trevor Shailes (Norfolk). Local umpire Bill Crumly will be officiating.