Thousands of footballers enjoy popular Wisbech St Mary tournament
MORE than 200 teams and around 1,500 players took to the field during Wisbech St Mary Football Club’s two-day tournament at the weekend.
The J.S. Holmes sponsored event - recognised as the largest five and six-a-side tournament in the Eastern region - once again delivered some fantastic football as boys, girls and ladies showed off their ball-playing skills.
Teams from across the county took part with many Fenland sides making finals in the junior ages which ranged from under-9s to under-16s.
Wisbech St Mary clinched the youngest age-range title after beating Riverside Rovers 3-1.
Despite fine performances throughout Outwell Under-11s lost 8-0 to Marlow Town and Chatteris Orange lost 1-0 to Arbury Under-14s in their respective finals.
You may also want to watch:
Sue Deighton, tournament secretary, thanked all of those on the tournament committee who worked tirelessly over the past six months to organise the popular event.
- 1 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 2 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 3 CCTV released after shopkeeper assaulted in robbery
- 4 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 5 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 6 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 7 Town buzzing with buses - for one day only
- 8 Suspected arsonist charged after health centre fire
- 9 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 10 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life