Thousands of footballers enjoy popular Wisbech St Mary tournament
MORE than 200 teams and around 1,500 players took to the field during Wisbech St Mary Football Club’s two-day tournament at the weekend.
The J.S. Holmes sponsored event - recognised as the largest five and six-a-side tournament in the Eastern region - once again delivered some fantastic football as boys, girls and ladies showed off their ball-playing skills.
Teams from across the county took part with many Fenland sides making finals in the junior ages which ranged from under-9s to under-16s.
Wisbech St Mary clinched the youngest age-range title after beating Riverside Rovers 3-1.
Despite fine performances throughout Outwell Under-11s lost 8-0 to Marlow Town and Chatteris Orange lost 1-0 to Arbury Under-14s in their respective finals.
You may also want to watch:
Sue Deighton, tournament secretary, thanked all of those on the tournament committee who worked tirelessly over the past six months to organise the popular event.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 7 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 8 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million