Thousands of footballers enjoy popular Wisbech St Mary tournament
MORE than 200 teams and around 1,500 players took to the field during Wisbech St Mary Football Club’s two-day tournament at the weekend.
The J.S. Holmes sponsored event - recognised as the largest five and six-a-side tournament in the Eastern region - once again delivered some fantastic football as boys, girls and ladies showed off their ball-playing skills.
Teams from across the county took part with many Fenland sides making finals in the junior ages which ranged from under-9s to under-16s.
Wisbech St Mary clinched the youngest age-range title after beating Riverside Rovers 3-1.
Despite fine performances throughout Outwell Under-11s lost 8-0 to Marlow Town and Chatteris Orange lost 1-0 to Arbury Under-14s in their respective finals.
You may also want to watch:
Sue Deighton, tournament secretary, thanked all of those on the tournament committee who worked tirelessly over the past six months to organise the popular event.
- 1 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 2 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 3 'Big red key' used by cops in dawn raid on suspected drug dealers
- 4 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 5 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 6 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 7 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 8 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 9 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 10 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog