Thousands of footballers enjoy popular Wisbech St Mary tournament
MORE than 200 teams and around 1,500 players took to the field during Wisbech St Mary Football Club’s two-day tournament at the weekend.
The J.S. Holmes sponsored event - recognised as the largest five and six-a-side tournament in the Eastern region - once again delivered some fantastic football as boys, girls and ladies showed off their ball-playing skills.
Teams from across the county took part with many Fenland sides making finals in the junior ages which ranged from under-9s to under-16s.
Wisbech St Mary clinched the youngest age-range title after beating Riverside Rovers 3-1.
Despite fine performances throughout Outwell Under-11s lost 8-0 to Marlow Town and Chatteris Orange lost 1-0 to Arbury Under-14s in their respective finals.
Sue Deighton, tournament secretary, thanked all of those on the tournament committee who worked tirelessly over the past six months to organise the popular event.
- 1 Thousands descend on Chatteris as town lights up for Christmas
- 2 Princess Eugenie comes to town in bid to tackle modern slavery
- 3 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 4 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 5 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 6 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 7 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 8 Wayne officially opens doors to DOORBRITE showroom
- 9 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 10 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier