Thousands of future football stars showcase their skills at annual Wisbech St Mary tournament
- Credit: Archant
The latest instalment of a football tournament in Wisbech St Mary – which saw almost 400 teams take part - has been hailed as ‘the most successful yet.’
392 teams of youngsters flocked to Hudson playing fields in the village for the annual tournament last weekend, which saw thousands of footballing prodigies aged six to 16 go head-to-head across two days of action.
Young players from Fenland and beyond were watched by eagle-eyed scouts from top clubs across the country, and one of the organisers, Mark Miller, said it was the biggest tournament yet.
“Overall, it was really successful,” he said. “We had 196 teams on both days which is really good.
“It must be one of the biggest tournaments in the country now. I can’t think of anywhere else in the country that puts on a tournament of this size.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s grown every year but this year was our most successful one to date.”
- 1 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 2 Green light for off-licence despite objections
- 3 'Eccentric traveller' to ride Penny-Farthing from London to Paris
- 4 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs this year
- 5 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 6 Road closed and residents without water due to burst water main
- 7 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 8 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 9 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 10 All staff and residents at Chatteris care home now vaccinated against Covid