Thousands of future football stars showcase their skills at annual Wisbech St Mary tournament
- Credit: Archant
The latest instalment of a football tournament in Wisbech St Mary – which saw almost 400 teams take part - has been hailed as ‘the most successful yet.’
392 teams of youngsters flocked to Hudson playing fields in the village for the annual tournament last weekend, which saw thousands of footballing prodigies aged six to 16 go head-to-head across two days of action.
Young players from Fenland and beyond were watched by eagle-eyed scouts from top clubs across the country, and one of the organisers, Mark Miller, said it was the biggest tournament yet.
“Overall, it was really successful,” he said. “We had 196 teams on both days which is really good.
“It must be one of the biggest tournaments in the country now. I can’t think of anywhere else in the country that puts on a tournament of this size.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s grown every year but this year was our most successful one to date.”
- 1 Girl, 15, in late night stand-off with train on rural line
- 2 Pupils thrilled to take next step towards England dream
- 3 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 4 ‘Shovel-ready’ mayor brings key schemes back from the brink
- 5 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 6 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 7 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 8 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 9 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 10 What are the outstanding and good schools in Cambridgeshire?