Thousands of future football stars showcase their skills at annual Wisbech St Mary tournament
- Credit: Archant
The latest instalment of a football tournament in Wisbech St Mary – which saw almost 400 teams take part - has been hailed as ‘the most successful yet.’
392 teams of youngsters flocked to Hudson playing fields in the village for the annual tournament last weekend, which saw thousands of footballing prodigies aged six to 16 go head-to-head across two days of action.
Young players from Fenland and beyond were watched by eagle-eyed scouts from top clubs across the country, and one of the organisers, Mark Miller, said it was the biggest tournament yet.
“Overall, it was really successful,” he said. “We had 196 teams on both days which is really good.
“It must be one of the biggest tournaments in the country now. I can’t think of anywhere else in the country that puts on a tournament of this size.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s grown every year but this year was our most successful one to date.”
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 7 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 8 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million