ATHLETICS: Festive cheer for Three Counties at annual Santa Run
- Credit: Archant
Three Counties Running Club hosted their fourth annual Santa Run in Wisbech Park on Sunday.
The fun started with the 1k event for all abilities with children, adults and non-runners dressed up in festive clothing taking part.
There were 54 entries in the 1k event with TCRC's Maisie Macdonald winning the race in a time of 3:48. Amandas Gestautas came fourth and was the first male finisher.
In the 5k race, 54 runners of all ages took part, all dressed in Santa hats, tinsel and bells.
Steven Franklin was the first male home in 19:04, with first female Millie Harris coming eighth in 22:52.
All runners in both events were presented with medals and Krispy Kreme doughnuts, with the first male and female winner in each race receiving a box of chocolates from TCRC chairman Gary Ingrey.
TCRC had 13 runners taking part, with most offering their support through volunteering for the event. The club runners were: Kersten Müller, Melvin Green, Laura Vincent, Amy Baxter, Tamara Barnes, Diane Petchell, Lisa Woolley, Andi Woolley and Junior Runners, Ruby Baxter, Finley Turner, William Durkin, Keira Fines and Isaac Western.
- 1 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 2 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 3 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Fenland Farmers Tractor Run 2022 to raise money for MAGPAS
- 5 Megan realises netball dream ahead of Commonwealth Games bow
- 6 Drink-drivers banned off the roads after being caught in March and Wisbech
- 7 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 8 Eye burglar smashed doors with brick and stole jewellery and chocolate
- 9 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 10 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
Gary Bligh, organiser, said: "We had about 18 people turn up for the 1k run and 60 people for the 5k - which was a really good turnout despite the weather.
"We gave out sweets and medals and even Krispy Kreme supplied us with doughnuts.
"It was a lot of fun as we had people dressed as reindeers and elves all helping each other around the park.
"All the money raised goes back into the helping us help the community by working with schools and making sure that Fenland stays fit and healthy."
The club would like to say a special thank you to everyone who supported and volunteered, including the runners, the mayor, the Wisbech Town Walking Football team, Finchy's Hog Roast, Melvin Green and Active Fenland.
Whilst some were having a festive run, seven members took part in the Thetford Trails 10k race, the first in the 10k Winter Series consisting of three events.
The single loop race, which started and finished at High Lodge whilst covering the trails of Thetford Forest, was mainly an uphill course with seven TCRC runners completing the challenge.
First home for the club was Jonny Clark in a time of 46:55, followed by Arthur Sargeant with a personal best of 53:34.
Jodie Clark, Tony Lamb and Cheryl Lenton crossed the line together in 1:00:05, with Steve Whitelam recording a PB of 1:01:35 and Sarah Lamb finished in 1:05:29.
*If any businesses would be able to help sponsor TCRC events or children's coaches then get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
Stephen Rhodes (30:19); Laura Vincent (30:20); Melvin Green (30:20) and Sandra Rhodes (31:24).
Colin Apps (24:07).