Three Counties runners stride out
- Credit: Archant
Three Counties Running Club female members Nicole Coughlin and Sarah-Jane Macdonald travelled to Grimsthorpe in Bourne to take on the Grimreaper ultra marathon.
The non stop race continues through the night incorporating multiple 10 mile loops around the grounds of Grimsthorpe Castle, where runners choose to run either 40,70 or 100 miles.
All race distances started at 9.30am and everyone had 26 hours to complete their chosen distance.
Not only did the participants have to deal with the heat but also the very hilly and mixed terrain course.
It was the pair’s first ultra marathon. Also they were the first females for Three Counties Running Club to participate in one.
You may also want to watch:
There were 65 runners in the 40 mile race and Nicole finished second solo runner overall and also first female across the line in a fantastic time of 7hrs:29:33.
Sarah-Jane finished in 13th position overall and also claimed second female prize in a time of 9hrs:17:25. Great results on their first ultra marathon.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 7 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 8 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
Wednesday evening saw the last event of the Grand Prix 5k series with this one taking place at Werrington. Eleven club members took part in the final race with the first club runner home, Morgan Harrison in a great time of 19:04.
Next club runner to finish was Lee Johnson in a fantastic time of 20:21 followed by Phil Newton 22:54, Matt Hunter 24:38, Dawn Ball 25:39, Sarah Johnson 26:11, Arthur Sargeant 26:25, Tony Lamb 28:03, Fay Gratton 29:13, Steve Clarke 30:14 and Sarah Lamb 30:51.
Sunday saw two husband and wife couples travel to Norwich to take part in the Norwich 10k.
It was a warm and hilly course but both couples managed some great times. Lee Johnson was first club member Home in a fantastic time of 43:48 with wife Sarah finishing in a great time of 57:39.
Sarah Melton-Whitelam had a great run finishing in 57:38 with husband Steve crossing the line in 1:10:11.
Mark Mattless 22:10
Michelle Brown 23:07PB
Sharntelle Arlington 25:17 PB
Anne-Marie Mattless 30:53PB
Barry Clark 30:12
Victoria May 30:17
Stephen Rhodes 24:29
Sandra Rhodes 32:54
Colin Apps 23:53
Joely Apps 40:10
Morgan Harrison 18:54PB 5th overall 1st U18.