Three Fenland boxers through to championship semi-finals after triumphant weekend
THREE of Fenland’s boxing talents have secured their places in the semi-finals of the Amateur Boxing Association Junior Championships.
British Champion Jordan Gill, from Chatteris ABC, and Danny Hedges, from March ABC, both cruised through their quarter-finals, while March ABC boxer Charlie Stevens also progressed after his opponent pulled out through injury.
Gill put in another powerful performance against Josh Mason, from Barnstaple ABC, on Saturday.
The 16-year-old outclassed his opponent tactically, adopting a southpaw position to land a series of heavy blows. Gill’s fierce right hands left Mason reeling and forced two standing eight counts.
The bout was finally stopped in the second round, when a brutal body shot knocked Mason to his knees, prompting the referee to award Gill the win by technical knock out.
You may also want to watch:
Danny Hedges was also in fine form against Barnstaple ABC’s Joe Ogijewicz. The March prospect kept the pressure on his opponent throughout the bout to record a deserved victory.
Stevens, Hedges and Gill will now begin preparations for the semi-finals in May, with opponents and venues yet to be confirmed.
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 4 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 5 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 6 Trades group hears of alarming rise in shop worker abuse amid Covid
- 7 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 8 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 9 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 10 £1.5 million food store creates 12 jobs
After the ABA championships Gill will take to the ring in front of his home crowd at Chatteris ABC’s show at Cromwell Community College. For tickets call Matty Payne on 01354 693630.
• Also in action at the weekend was Mark Crosby, who beat Colchester ABC’s Charlie Roach at Debenham Norfolk Dinner Show. The March ABC boxer recorded a confident points win.