Three Fenland boxers through to championship semi-finals after triumphant weekend
THREE of Fenland’s boxing talents have secured their places in the semi-finals of the Amateur Boxing Association Junior Championships.
British Champion Jordan Gill, from Chatteris ABC, and Danny Hedges, from March ABC, both cruised through their quarter-finals, while March ABC boxer Charlie Stevens also progressed after his opponent pulled out through injury.
Gill put in another powerful performance against Josh Mason, from Barnstaple ABC, on Saturday.
The 16-year-old outclassed his opponent tactically, adopting a southpaw position to land a series of heavy blows. Gill’s fierce right hands left Mason reeling and forced two standing eight counts.
The bout was finally stopped in the second round, when a brutal body shot knocked Mason to his knees, prompting the referee to award Gill the win by technical knock out.
You may also want to watch:
Danny Hedges was also in fine form against Barnstaple ABC’s Joe Ogijewicz. The March prospect kept the pressure on his opponent throughout the bout to record a deserved victory.
Stevens, Hedges and Gill will now begin preparations for the semi-finals in May, with opponents and venues yet to be confirmed.
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 3 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 6 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 7 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 8 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 9 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 10 Live updates as cyclist is ‘hit by lorry’ near March secondary school
After the ABA championships Gill will take to the ring in front of his home crowd at Chatteris ABC’s show at Cromwell Community College. For tickets call Matty Payne on 01354 693630.
• Also in action at the weekend was Mark Crosby, who beat Colchester ABC’s Charlie Roach at Debenham Norfolk Dinner Show. The March ABC boxer recorded a confident points win.