Three Fenland referees join select group of area’s most promising officials
THREE up and coming referees from Fenland have been chosen to join a select group of the area’s most promising whistle-blowers.
Jamie Tilley of Wisbech and Megan Fidler, a former Kids Are Alright Challenge monthly winner, and Sam Powell of Whittlesey will be closely mentored as part of the Peterborough Junior Alliance Football League Select Group of Referees.
The trio join 12 other young officials who will also have access to exclusive training and development sessions.
Project manager Robert Windle initiated the scheme in conjunction with the Northamptonshire, Cambridgeshire, Lincolnshire and Huntingdonshire FA’s.
Windle said: “Peterborough is surrounded by county FA’s and many of the referees on the edge of these counties could be easily forgotten.
You may also want to watch:
“This is a win-win situation where everyone is working towards the same goal in helping young referees develop.
“It would be great if we could have one or more of this select group go onto emulate other top match officials such as David Bryan, who is a Premier League assistant referee, and Kevin Wright and Darren Deadman who have officiated in the Championship.”
- 1 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 2 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 3 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 4 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 5 Heated dining pod and covered decking area at restaurant after garden makeover
- 6 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 7 £1.5 million food store creates 12 jobs
- 8 Villagers stay strong to earn perfect post-lockdown record
- 9 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 10 Mum caught driving with revoked license on school run gets car seized
The 15 referees will complete self-assessment work and be given the opportunity to ref more demanding and high-profile matches.