Three league victories all season... but March Rangers U13’s win cup
A YOUTH team which won just three games all season signed off in style by winning a tournament for teams that showed determination during a difficult season.
March Rangers Under 13s, who succumbed to a 13-0 loss in one game during their season in the Cambridgeshire Colts League, won the Snowey Coulson Trophy by beating Manea Under 13s in the final.
The team received an invitation from the FA to participate in the tournament. Following his death 26 years ago, the FA named a trophy after Snowey Coulson, who was the former manager of Sutton Colts.
Its purpose is to allow minor teams, that struggle to win matches in the domestic season but show endeavour and determination despite results, to challenge for �silverware.
The game was played at Witchford FC’s first team pitch. With the game tied at 0-0 at half-time, captain Jacob Birt rallied his troops and striker Matty Carey responded with the winner.
You may also want to watch:
The trophy was presented to Birt and his team by FA representatives who had come to watch the game as well as Coulson’s wife. The team celebrated the victory by taking all players and their families for a day out at Wicksteed Park.
Manager Andy Wenn and assistant manager Darren Grint almost finished the team last summer because only eight players were signed up two weeks before the start of the season.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 3 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 4 Diamond celebrations for former mayor and council chairman
- 5 Body found in Wisbech road
- 6 Chatteris firm with £20m growth plan
- 7 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 8 Crash driver four and a half times over drink drive limit
- 9 Dogs to join hounds across the world in global walk
- 10 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
However, after securing sponsorship from John Jupp Utilities, 15 shirts were purchased for the team as well as training equipment.
• March Rangers have four boys teams, Under 13s, Under 14s, Under 15s and Under 17s, and a girls Under 16s team. All teams are looking to attract new players.
Anyone interested should contact club chairman Robert Chapman on 01354 660825. All coaches are FA trained and CRB checked.