CRICKET: Half-century for Sri Lankan star as March Town take positives from defeat to title-chasers
- Credit: Archant
March Town took plenty of positives from their Cambs & Hunts Premier League defeat to the potential champions last Saturday.
The locals went down by 71 runs to joint-leaders Saffron Walden in Whiting & Partners Division One, but they did have the satisfaction of bowling out their visitors at The Avenue.
Shardul Brahmbhatt (3-33) and acting skipper Andy Wright (3-47) were the pick of the March men with the ball as they removed Saffron Walden for 209.
But March could only reach 138 in reply with Saranga Rajaguru and Brahmbhatt responsible for the majority of those runs.
Sri Lankan all-rounder Rajaguru hit a boundary-laden 54, which includes five fours and three sixes, while Brahmbhatt made 41.
They put on 89 for the third wicket, but only other other March batsman – Spencer Saberton scoring 10 – reached double-figures.
March saw their Rutland League promotion hopes dented slightly by a Division Two defeat last Sunday.
- 1 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 2 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 3 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 4 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 5 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
- 6 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 7 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 8 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 9 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 10 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
They went down by 30 runs at Ramsey after being dismissed for 202 in pursuit of their hosts’ offering of 232.
Jamie Chapman hit a career-best of 53 at this level for March while young spinner Geoff Kirby claimed 3-55.
March now go to Ramsey again this Saturday in Whiting & Partners Division One, 12.30pm.