CRICKET: Half-century for Sri Lankan star as March Town take positives from defeat to title-chasers
- Credit: Archant
March Town took plenty of positives from their Cambs & Hunts Premier League defeat to the potential champions last Saturday.
The locals went down by 71 runs to joint-leaders Saffron Walden in Whiting & Partners Division One, but they did have the satisfaction of bowling out their visitors at The Avenue.
Shardul Brahmbhatt (3-33) and acting skipper Andy Wright (3-47) were the pick of the March men with the ball as they removed Saffron Walden for 209.
But March could only reach 138 in reply with Saranga Rajaguru and Brahmbhatt responsible for the majority of those runs.
Sri Lankan all-rounder Rajaguru hit a boundary-laden 54, which includes five fours and three sixes, while Brahmbhatt made 41.
You may also want to watch:
They put on 89 for the third wicket, but only other other March batsman – Spencer Saberton scoring 10 – reached double-figures.
March saw their Rutland League promotion hopes dented slightly by a Division Two defeat last Sunday.
- 1 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 2 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 3 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 4 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
- 5 MP wants an end to floods misery in the Fens
- 6 All staff and residents at Chatteris care home now vaccinated against Covid
- 7 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week
- 8 Dad has 'much more energy to run around' with son after losing four stone
- 9 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 10 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
They went down by 30 runs at Ramsey after being dismissed for 202 in pursuit of their hosts’ offering of 232.
Jamie Chapman hit a career-best of 53 at this level for March while young spinner Geoff Kirby claimed 3-55.
March now go to Ramsey again this Saturday in Whiting & Partners Division One, 12.30pm.