CRICKET: Half-century for Sri Lankan star as March Town take positives from defeat to title-chasers
- Credit: Archant
March Town took plenty of positives from their Cambs & Hunts Premier League defeat to the potential champions last Saturday.
The locals went down by 71 runs to joint-leaders Saffron Walden in Whiting & Partners Division One, but they did have the satisfaction of bowling out their visitors at The Avenue.
Shardul Brahmbhatt (3-33) and acting skipper Andy Wright (3-47) were the pick of the March men with the ball as they removed Saffron Walden for 209.
But March could only reach 138 in reply with Saranga Rajaguru and Brahmbhatt responsible for the majority of those runs.
Sri Lankan all-rounder Rajaguru hit a boundary-laden 54, which includes five fours and three sixes, while Brahmbhatt made 41.
You may also want to watch:
They put on 89 for the third wicket, but only other other March batsman – Spencer Saberton scoring 10 – reached double-figures.
March saw their Rutland League promotion hopes dented slightly by a Division Two defeat last Sunday.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 7 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 8 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
They went down by 30 runs at Ramsey after being dismissed for 202 in pursuit of their hosts’ offering of 232.
Jamie Chapman hit a career-best of 53 at this level for March while young spinner Geoff Kirby claimed 3-55.
March now go to Ramsey again this Saturday in Whiting & Partners Division One, 12.30pm.