Tinkerman Appleby admits he will continue to shuffle his Wisbech Town pack
MANAGER Steve Appleby has admitted he will continue to tinker with his Wisbech Town side in order to counter the threats of their league rivals.
The Fenmen chief won the tactical battle on Saturday as Wisbech demolished Thurlow Nunn Premier Division pace-setters Mildenhall Town 3-0.
Appleby opted to bring Rogan McGeorge in for Deakan Napier, moving Steven Reid to the right of a narrower midfield.
“I try to pick the right side for the right game,” said Appleby. “I’m really pleased for Rogan because he hasn’t been a happy bunny on the bench.
“Adam Millson and Steven Reid have been outstanding all season so it’s been a difficult one but Rogan has kept at it, kept smiling and been brilliant in the changing room.
You may also want to watch:
“I will keep picking teams to do the job for the games that are put in front of us. The players will have to adhere to that.
“It’s about looking at the big picture. We’re going to need everybody and they’re all playing their part at the moment.”
- 1 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 2 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 3 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 4 Fishing park owners await green light to open third lake
- 5 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 6 Sandbags available ahead as Storm Christoph arrives
- 7 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 8 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 9 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 10 Neighbours want council to call time on off-licence
Goals from Scott Johnson, Matt Lunn and a Chris Bacon penalty helped Wisbech take revenge on Mildenhall, who humiliated them 9-0 last season in a game where three Fenmen were sent off.
The win came four days after they had seen off St Ives Town in their FA Vase replay.
“The league win made me happier than the Vase win,” said Appleby.
“The league is your bread and butter, what you strive for every week. We’d all love to go to Wembley in the Vase but that’s the dream.”
Appleby has loaned keeper Tom Roberts to Boston Town while young talent Toby Ogbonna is set to join March Town United on loan.
Appleby said: “Toby has shown signs of being a cracking young footballer and I’m certainly not going to stop people playing football. He’s raw but the potential is there.”
The Fenmen will face another of their title rivals on Saturday when they host Dereham Town.