Top of the Charters: Fenland father and son duo triumph at Essex archery tournament
A SHARP-SHOOTING father and son duo returned from an Essex archery tournament with two trophies on Sunday – after BOTH won their disciplines.
Kevin Charter, and his 17-year-old son Andrew, from Chatteris, had to endure a 180-mile round trip to take part in the Indoor American Round Tournament, at Wix Equestrian Centre.
But it proved to be a worthwhile journey as Kevin scored 634 points to win the Gents Barebow, while Andrew shot 38 golds to triumph in the Junior Gents Recurve.
Kevin said: “To have both of us coming back with a win was brilliant. If the tournament had been held outdoors I would have shot a county record, so I was chuffed to bits.”
The pair compete with Wimblington-based Parkfield Archers, which has more than 30 members.
You may also want to watch:
Kevin said: “Andrew took it up three-and-a-half years ago and I joined in a year later. We often find that the kids take up archery and then the parents follow in their footsteps.
“That’s what happened with us and it’s a great atmosphere at the club.”
- 1 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 2 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 MP praises 'fantastic' vaccine team after having Covid-19 jab
- 5 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 6 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 7 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 8 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 9 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 10 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
Parkfield Archers are planning to hold a series of “come and try” days later this year.