Top of the Charters: Fenland father and son duo triumph at Essex archery tournament
A SHARP-SHOOTING father and son duo returned from an Essex archery tournament with two trophies on Sunday – after BOTH won their disciplines.
Kevin Charter, and his 17-year-old son Andrew, from Chatteris, had to endure a 180-mile round trip to take part in the Indoor American Round Tournament, at Wix Equestrian Centre.
But it proved to be a worthwhile journey as Kevin scored 634 points to win the Gents Barebow, while Andrew shot 38 golds to triumph in the Junior Gents Recurve.
Kevin said: “To have both of us coming back with a win was brilliant. If the tournament had been held outdoors I would have shot a county record, so I was chuffed to bits.”
The pair compete with Wimblington-based Parkfield Archers, which has more than 30 members.
Kevin said: “Andrew took it up three-and-a-half years ago and I joined in a year later. We often find that the kids take up archery and then the parents follow in their footsteps.
“That’s what happened with us and it’s a great atmosphere at the club.”
- 1 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 2 Wembley debut 'a highlight of my career' for footballer Reece
- 3 Drug-driver killed co-worker on B1101 Elm Road in March
- 4 March set to light a beacon for Platinum Jubilee
- 5 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 6 Jon serves up a painting fit for Her Majesty
- 7 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 8 Herts man charged with alleged attempted robbery at village Co-op
- 9 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 10 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
Parkfield Archers are planning to hold a series of “come and try” days later this year.