Top of the Charters: Fenland father and son duo triumph at Essex archery tournament
A SHARP-SHOOTING father and son duo returned from an Essex archery tournament with two trophies on Sunday – after BOTH won their disciplines.
Kevin Charter, and his 17-year-old son Andrew, from Chatteris, had to endure a 180-mile round trip to take part in the Indoor American Round Tournament, at Wix Equestrian Centre.
But it proved to be a worthwhile journey as Kevin scored 634 points to win the Gents Barebow, while Andrew shot 38 golds to triumph in the Junior Gents Recurve.
Kevin said: “To have both of us coming back with a win was brilliant. If the tournament had been held outdoors I would have shot a county record, so I was chuffed to bits.”
The pair compete with Wimblington-based Parkfield Archers, which has more than 30 members.
You may also want to watch:
Kevin said: “Andrew took it up three-and-a-half years ago and I joined in a year later. We often find that the kids take up archery and then the parents follow in their footsteps.
“That’s what happened with us and it’s a great atmosphere at the club.”
- 1 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 2 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 3 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 4 'Big red key' used by cops in dawn raid on suspected drug dealers
- 5 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 6 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 7 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 8 Dad of two killed on Fen road
- 9 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 10 Pedestrian dies at scene of crash
Parkfield Archers are planning to hold a series of “come and try” days later this year.