Top of the Charters: Fenland father and son duo triumph at Essex archery tournament
A SHARP-SHOOTING father and son duo returned from an Essex archery tournament with two trophies on Sunday – after BOTH won their disciplines.
Kevin Charter, and his 17-year-old son Andrew, from Chatteris, had to endure a 180-mile round trip to take part in the Indoor American Round Tournament, at Wix Equestrian Centre.
But it proved to be a worthwhile journey as Kevin scored 634 points to win the Gents Barebow, while Andrew shot 38 golds to triumph in the Junior Gents Recurve.
Kevin said: “To have both of us coming back with a win was brilliant. If the tournament had been held outdoors I would have shot a county record, so I was chuffed to bits.”
The pair compete with Wimblington-based Parkfield Archers, which has more than 30 members.
Kevin said: “Andrew took it up three-and-a-half years ago and I joined in a year later. We often find that the kids take up archery and then the parents follow in their footsteps.
“That’s what happened with us and it’s a great atmosphere at the club.”
- 1 Thousands descend on Chatteris as town lights up for Christmas
- 2 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 3 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 4 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 5 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 6 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 7 Princess Eugenie comes to town in bid to tackle modern slavery
- 8 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 9 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 10 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
Parkfield Archers are planning to hold a series of “come and try” days later this year.