Top of the Charters: Fenland father and son duo triumph at Essex archery tournament
A SHARP-SHOOTING father and son duo returned from an Essex archery tournament with two trophies on Sunday – after BOTH won their disciplines.
Kevin Charter, and his 17-year-old son Andrew, from Chatteris, had to endure a 180-mile round trip to take part in the Indoor American Round Tournament, at Wix Equestrian Centre.
But it proved to be a worthwhile journey as Kevin scored 634 points to win the Gents Barebow, while Andrew shot 38 golds to triumph in the Junior Gents Recurve.
Kevin said: “To have both of us coming back with a win was brilliant. If the tournament had been held outdoors I would have shot a county record, so I was chuffed to bits.”
The pair compete with Wimblington-based Parkfield Archers, which has more than 30 members.
You may also want to watch:
Kevin said: “Andrew took it up three-and-a-half years ago and I joined in a year later. We often find that the kids take up archery and then the parents follow in their footsteps.
“That’s what happened with us and it’s a great atmosphere at the club.”
- 1 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 2 Pub car park approved despite 13 residents' noise concerns
- 3 Stunning drone footage shows prom night in all its glory
- 4 Yard sale raises over £1,400 from second annual event
- 5 Pub demolition decision deferred
- 6 Work starts on £3.16m apprenticeship training school
- 7 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologises after 90mph police pursuit
- 8 Councillors praised for 'tireless' illegal encampment work
- 9 Rural theft cost Cambridgeshire £2 million in 2020
- 10 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
Parkfield Archers are planning to hold a series of “come and try” days later this year.