Torrential rain forces March Town United to abandon first pre-season friendly
MARCH Town United’s preparations for an exciting new campaign stalled on Saturday as their first pre-season friendly fell victim to a waterlogged pitch.
Torrential rain forced the Hares to abandon their fixture with Blackstones at the GER - denying Brett Whaley’s new-look squad their first chance to play together.
The cancellation means that March’s first warm-up game will now be tomorrow (Tuesday) night’s friendly clash with rivals Wisbech Town.
Whaley said: “It’s massively frustrating. The lads are raring to go and they are desperate to get out and play. We go into a tough game on Tuesday without any game time but there’s nothing we can do about it.
“We have got standing water all over the pitch. I can’t remember ever missing the first pre-season game because of a waterlogged pitch before.
You may also want to watch:
“We have to consider player safety and the long-term damage that we could do to the state of the pitch.”
- 1 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 2 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs this year
- 3 Road closed and residents without water due to burst water main
- 4 'Eccentric traveller' to ride Penny-Farthing from London to Paris
- 5 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 6 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 7 Green light for off-licence despite objections
- 8 ‘It needs to get sorted’ - heartfelt plea after flood nightmare
- 9 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 10 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response