Torrential rain forces March Town United to abandon first pre-season friendly
MARCH Town United’s preparations for an exciting new campaign stalled on Saturday as their first pre-season friendly fell victim to a waterlogged pitch.
Torrential rain forced the Hares to abandon their fixture with Blackstones at the GER - denying Brett Whaley’s new-look squad their first chance to play together.
The cancellation means that March’s first warm-up game will now be tomorrow (Tuesday) night’s friendly clash with rivals Wisbech Town.
Whaley said: “It’s massively frustrating. The lads are raring to go and they are desperate to get out and play. We go into a tough game on Tuesday without any game time but there’s nothing we can do about it.
“We have got standing water all over the pitch. I can’t remember ever missing the first pre-season game because of a waterlogged pitch before.
You may also want to watch:
“We have to consider player safety and the long-term damage that we could do to the state of the pitch.”
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 3 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 4 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 6 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 7 Students dare to dream of England Lionesses spot after trial success
- 8 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 9 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 10 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris