Torrential rain forces March Town United to abandon first pre-season friendly
MARCH Town United’s preparations for an exciting new campaign stalled on Saturday as their first pre-season friendly fell victim to a waterlogged pitch.
Torrential rain forced the Hares to abandon their fixture with Blackstones at the GER - denying Brett Whaley’s new-look squad their first chance to play together.
The cancellation means that March’s first warm-up game will now be tomorrow (Tuesday) night’s friendly clash with rivals Wisbech Town.
Whaley said: “It’s massively frustrating. The lads are raring to go and they are desperate to get out and play. We go into a tough game on Tuesday without any game time but there’s nothing we can do about it.
“We have got standing water all over the pitch. I can’t remember ever missing the first pre-season game because of a waterlogged pitch before.
You may also want to watch:
“We have to consider player safety and the long-term damage that we could do to the state of the pitch.”
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 2 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 3 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
- 4 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 5 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 6 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 7 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 8 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 9 Steve Count 'no doubt' Tories will review 'our performance' as his future is decided
- 10 Tory jubilation short-lived in Fenland as they lose control of county council