Torrential rain forces March Town United to abandon first pre-season friendly
MARCH Town United’s preparations for an exciting new campaign stalled on Saturday as their first pre-season friendly fell victim to a waterlogged pitch.
Torrential rain forced the Hares to abandon their fixture with Blackstones at the GER - denying Brett Whaley’s new-look squad their first chance to play together.
The cancellation means that March’s first warm-up game will now be tomorrow (Tuesday) night’s friendly clash with rivals Wisbech Town.
Whaley said: “It’s massively frustrating. The lads are raring to go and they are desperate to get out and play. We go into a tough game on Tuesday without any game time but there’s nothing we can do about it.
“We have got standing water all over the pitch. I can’t remember ever missing the first pre-season game because of a waterlogged pitch before.
You may also want to watch:
“We have to consider player safety and the long-term damage that we could do to the state of the pitch.”
- 1 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 2 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 3 Man escapes ‘shocking case’ of modern slavery at hand car wash
- 4 DJ, 11, branded 'an inspiration' after winning top award
- 5 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 6 Man who died in road crash is named
- 7 WATCH: Air ambulances can't land after hospital helipad wrecked by US aircraft
- 8 Photographer amazed by praise thanks to stunning images of space
- 9 NHS hired conman on £320,000 five months after he was unmasked
- 10 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream