Tributes paid to former March Town secretary and board member Mandy Welcher
- Credit: Archant
Tributes have been paid to former March Town secretary and board member, Mandy Welcher, who died on November 13.
Mandy was an integral part of the club for many years and all three of her sons – Marc, Scott and Lewis – played for the Hares. She was also well-known in the area for fundraising and raised more than £5,000 by taking part in the 26.2-mile MoonWalk in London in 2015.
March paid their respects by holding a minute’s silence before their Thurlow Nunn First Division match with Little Oakley on Saturday.
A March statement said: “Mandy had fought a tough battle with cancer and passed peacefully at home with her family around her.
“Mandy’s commitment to the club was always 100 per cent and she was a ray of sunshine around the club and teams.
You may also want to watch:
“Mandy’s contribution to the club was second to none, with helping within the kitchen or preparing the clubhouse before match days or big events and would be there until the end to clear up.
“All three of her sons have played for March over the various squads throughout the years and she was always here to support them and the team through rain and shine.
- 1 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 2 'Eccentric traveller' to ride Penny-Farthing from London to Paris
- 3 Green light for off-licence despite objections
- 4 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs this year
- 5 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 6 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 7 All staff and residents at Chatteris care home now vaccinated against Covid
- 8 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 9 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 10 Have your say on Mepal crematorium plans - but be quick
“She was a wife, a mum, a nanny and a friend to many around the community and was such a lovely and wonderful lady whose smile would like up a room and she will be truly and deeply missed by everyone at the club and anyone who knew her. The club will be a quieter place without Mandy.
“Thoughts and prayers go out to the Welcher family at this sad and difficult time.”
The local football community has also paid its tributes.
Former March manager Brett Whaley said: “Such sad news, a really lovely lady who did so much for the club. My thoughts are with Trevor, Marc, Scott and Lewis.”
Katie Conyard, secretary at March Soccer School, said: “An inspirational lady who was so kind, caring, brave and will be so missed but never forgotten. A friend to all. Love, thoughts and prayers to all the Welcher family.”
Mandy’s funeral will take place at St Wendreda’s Church, March, on November 29 at 12pm, followed by a celebration of her life at the Conservative Club, March.