UFC debut success for Wisbech St Mary’s John ‘The One’ Maguire
MIXED martial artist John ‘The One’ Maguire made an immediate impression in the Ultimate Fighting Championship by winning his debut bout on Saturday.
The Wisbech St Mary grappling expert defeated Justin Edwards by unanimous decision at the sold-out UFC 138 show in Birmingham.
The 28-year-old welterweight, East Anglia’s first fighter to land a contract with the UFC, went the full three rounds before defeating his American opponent 30-27 on all three judges’ scorecards.
‘The One’ was floored in the first round but responded excellently and went close to picking up victory by submission on a couple of occasions.
Maguire said on Twitter: “Thanks everyone who sent me messages on Twitter and Facebook.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve had so many great comments, I really appreciate them all. Thanks for the love.”
The match was so entertaining that programmers swiftly placed the full fight on the main card which was then aired worldwide.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 MP praises 'fantastic' vaccine team after having Covid-19 jab
- 5 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 6 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 7 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 8 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 9 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 10 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal