UFC debut success for Wisbech St Mary’s John ‘The One’ Maguire
MIXED martial artist John ‘The One’ Maguire made an immediate impression in the Ultimate Fighting Championship by winning his debut bout on Saturday.
The Wisbech St Mary grappling expert defeated Justin Edwards by unanimous decision at the sold-out UFC 138 show in Birmingham.
The 28-year-old welterweight, East Anglia’s first fighter to land a contract with the UFC, went the full three rounds before defeating his American opponent 30-27 on all three judges’ scorecards.
‘The One’ was floored in the first round but responded excellently and went close to picking up victory by submission on a couple of occasions.
Maguire said on Twitter: “Thanks everyone who sent me messages on Twitter and Facebook.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve had so many great comments, I really appreciate them all. Thanks for the love.”
The match was so entertaining that programmers swiftly placed the full fight on the main card which was then aired worldwide.
- 1 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 2 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 3 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 4 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
- 5 MP wants an end to floods misery in the Fens
- 6 All staff and residents at Chatteris care home now vaccinated against Covid
- 7 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week
- 8 Dad has 'much more energy to run around' with son after losing four stone
- 9 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 10 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs already this year