VIDEO: Lunn nets injury-time winner to send Wisbech Town’s players into raptures
- Credit: Archant
MATT Lunn grabbed a winner in the sixth minute of injury time to secure the Fenmen a vital three points at Wivenhoe Town.
Wisbech Town dominated possession and chances but struggled to break down the stubborn hosts who had set out to be as defensive as possible.
The bumpy pitch also did not help Wisbech’s passing game but they still managed to muster several good chances.
A bullet header from Paul Cousins sailed narrowly wide and several shots from distance just missed the target.
It looked like relegation-threatened Wivenhoe were going to grind out a hard-fought point but Lunn won a tangle with two defenders and broke free to score with almost the last kick of the game.
The Fenmen remain sixth in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division but have games in hand on all the teams above them.
Their next game is away at promotion rivals Walsham-le-Willows on Wednesday.
- 1 Whittlesey and March serve up cup thriller ahead of crucial weekend
- 2 Village's stunning Christmas lights display captured on camera
- 3 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 4 Neighbour and PCSO prevent £4,000 fraud
- 5 Santa lightens up the Fens in run-up to Christmas
- 6 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 7 Government clearance needed for £200,000 year role for Eileen
- 8 Owner left excited as town's 'heirloom' features on I'm A Celebrity trial
- 9 Attacked PC nominated for bravery award
- 10 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers