VIDEO: Millson strikes late to spare Wisbech Town’s blushes at FC Clacton
IN-FORM midfielder Adam Millson scored for the third consecutive game as his injury-time strike spared Wisbech Town’s blushes at struggling FC Clacton.
The Fenmen clung on to top spot in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division with a 2-1 win, but they did not have it all their own way at the seaside.
Despite dominating the early exchanges, it was the hosts who took the lead from the penalty spot after keeper Alex Street had brought down an advancing striker.
Wisbech continued to pressurise the Clacton goal, but a cut up pitch meant the visitors were struggling to produce their flowing football.
They went in behind at the break, but Steve Appleby’s side were finally level after five minutes of the second half when Chris Bacon converted the second spot-kick of the game.
As the minutes ticked away it looked as if the Fenmen would have to settle for a point against second-bottom Clacton.
But their pressure finally told in the 92nd minute when a Rogan McGeorge corner fell kindly for Millson to lash it into the top corner - sparking wild celebrations.
- 1 Students in Cambridgeshire receive ‘fantastic’ A-level results
- 2 Friend pays tribute to 'kind-hearted' 20-year-old who died in bike crash
- 3 Head of sixth form at Sir Harry Smith ‘incredibly proud’ of students' A-level results
- 4 Florida Ice Effect phenomenon could put drivers at risk
- 5 New reservoir could secure region's water supply - but will cost over £1bn
- 6 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 7 Cyclists call bicycle plates and insurance 'unenforceable and unworkable'
- 8 Local MPs in talks with Anglian Water over new reservoir
- 9 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 10 Ramsey fire-fighters refill Horse Pond with water to save fish
The Fenmen host Linton Granta in the Cambs Invitation Cup tomorrow before travelling to Norwich United in the league on Saturday.