VIDEO: Wisbech Town go top as Reid’s rocket inspires 6-0 crushing of Diss Town
WISBECH Town turned on the style last night to thrash Diss Town 6-0 and cruise to the top of the league.
The Fenmen passed Diss off the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium pitch, powering into a 4-0 lead with a free-flowing first half performance.
Steven Reid started the fireworks in the 11th minute with the goal of the night - and perhaps the season. The midfielder lashed a bobbling clearance into the top corner from 25 yards out to give Steve Appleby’s side the lead.
Neal Spafford doubled the lead in the 22nd minute with a neat volley, before an own goal made it 3-0 five minutes later.
Captain Paul Cousins got Wisbech’s fourth on the stroke of half time, rising to nod Rogan McGeorge’s free-kick past the Diss ‘keeper.
You may also want to watch:
The Fenmen continued to dominate after the break, and they were five in front after 52 minutes when Dubi Ogbonna’s wonderful curling cross was met by a powerful Chris Bacon header at the far post.
The rout was completed two minutes later as Ogbonna got himself on the scoresheet with a fantastic swivel and shot inside the box.
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 3 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 4 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 6 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 7 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 8 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 9 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 10 Chief honours those who went 'over and beyond' to protect public
The result puts Wisbech, who remain unbeaten this season, top of the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division.
The Fenmen host Yaxley in the FA Cup on Saturday, with the winners set for a clash with Kettering Town.