VIDEO: Wisbech Town go top as Reid’s rocket inspires 6-0 crushing of Diss Town
WISBECH Town turned on the style last night to thrash Diss Town 6-0 and cruise to the top of the league.
The Fenmen passed Diss off the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium pitch, powering into a 4-0 lead with a free-flowing first half performance.
Steven Reid started the fireworks in the 11th minute with the goal of the night - and perhaps the season. The midfielder lashed a bobbling clearance into the top corner from 25 yards out to give Steve Appleby’s side the lead.
Neal Spafford doubled the lead in the 22nd minute with a neat volley, before an own goal made it 3-0 five minutes later.
Captain Paul Cousins got Wisbech’s fourth on the stroke of half time, rising to nod Rogan McGeorge’s free-kick past the Diss ‘keeper.
The Fenmen continued to dominate after the break, and they were five in front after 52 minutes when Dubi Ogbonna’s wonderful curling cross was met by a powerful Chris Bacon header at the far post.
The rout was completed two minutes later as Ogbonna got himself on the scoresheet with a fantastic swivel and shot inside the box.
- 1 Wembley debut 'a highlight of my career' for footballer Reece
- 2 Cambridgeshire man stabbed partner in the neck while she held their baby
- 3 March set to light a beacon for Platinum Jubilee
- 4 Drug driver attacked man with metal pole and spat at police
- 5 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 6 Jon serves up a painting fit for Her Majesty
- 7 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 8 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 9 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 10 Pupils tell Ofsted school so good they don't want to leave
The result puts Wisbech, who remain unbeaten this season, top of the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division.
The Fenmen host Yaxley in the FA Cup on Saturday, with the winners set for a clash with Kettering Town.