VIDEO: Wisbech Town go top as Reid’s rocket inspires 6-0 crushing of Diss Town
WISBECH Town turned on the style last night to thrash Diss Town 6-0 and cruise to the top of the league.
The Fenmen passed Diss off the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium pitch, powering into a 4-0 lead with a free-flowing first half performance.
Steven Reid started the fireworks in the 11th minute with the goal of the night - and perhaps the season. The midfielder lashed a bobbling clearance into the top corner from 25 yards out to give Steve Appleby’s side the lead.
Neal Spafford doubled the lead in the 22nd minute with a neat volley, before an own goal made it 3-0 five minutes later.
Captain Paul Cousins got Wisbech’s fourth on the stroke of half time, rising to nod Rogan McGeorge’s free-kick past the Diss ‘keeper.
The Fenmen continued to dominate after the break, and they were five in front after 52 minutes when Dubi Ogbonna’s wonderful curling cross was met by a powerful Chris Bacon header at the far post.
The rout was completed two minutes later as Ogbonna got himself on the scoresheet with a fantastic swivel and shot inside the box.
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 3 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 4 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman
- 5 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 6 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 7 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 8 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 9 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 10 Woman in court over town pub burglary
The result puts Wisbech, who remain unbeaten this season, top of the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division.
The Fenmen host Yaxley in the FA Cup on Saturday, with the winners set for a clash with Kettering Town.