VIDEO: Wisbech Town go top as Reid’s rocket inspires 6-0 crushing of Diss Town
WISBECH Town turned on the style last night to thrash Diss Town 6-0 and cruise to the top of the league.
The Fenmen passed Diss off the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium pitch, powering into a 4-0 lead with a free-flowing first half performance.
Steven Reid started the fireworks in the 11th minute with the goal of the night - and perhaps the season. The midfielder lashed a bobbling clearance into the top corner from 25 yards out to give Steve Appleby’s side the lead.
Neal Spafford doubled the lead in the 22nd minute with a neat volley, before an own goal made it 3-0 five minutes later.
Captain Paul Cousins got Wisbech’s fourth on the stroke of half time, rising to nod Rogan McGeorge’s free-kick past the Diss ‘keeper.
You may also want to watch:
The Fenmen continued to dominate after the break, and they were five in front after 52 minutes when Dubi Ogbonna’s wonderful curling cross was met by a powerful Chris Bacon header at the far post.
The rout was completed two minutes later as Ogbonna got himself on the scoresheet with a fantastic swivel and shot inside the box.
- 1 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 2 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 3 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 4 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 5 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 6 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 7 Man sentenced for carrying knife after 'someone threatened'
- 8 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 9 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 10 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
The result puts Wisbech, who remain unbeaten this season, top of the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division.
The Fenmen host Yaxley in the FA Cup on Saturday, with the winners set for a clash with Kettering Town.