VIDEO: Wisbech Town take revenge on title rivals Mildenhall with 3-0 win
LAST season Wisbech Town had three men sent off as they crashed to a humiliating 9-0 defeat at Mildenhall Town - but yesterday they took revenge.
The Fenmen powered to a vital 3-0 victory over their title rivals, who sit top of the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division.
Four days after seeing off St Ives Town in their FA Vase replay, Steve Appleby’s side took immediate control of the top-of-the-table clash.
Full back Scott Johnson cut inside and fired a shot into the top corner to give Wisbech the lead in the fifth minute.
The visitors missed chances to extend that lead before Matt Lunn grabbed a second in the 66th minute, slotting past the keeper.
You may also want to watch:
The three points were sealed moments later when Chris Bacon was bundled over in the penalty area and the referee pointed to the spot.
Bacon picked himself up to chip home a cheeky spot-kick and close the gap on the league leaders. The win was the Fenmen’s first at Recreation Way since the 2002/03 season.
- 1 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 2 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs this year
- 3 Road closed and residents without water due to burst water main
- 4 'Eccentric traveller' to ride Penny-Farthing from London to Paris
- 5 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 6 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 7 Green light for off-licence despite objections
- 8 ‘It needs to get sorted’ - heartfelt plea after flood nightmare
- 9 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 10 Driver peers out of Range Rover while trying to cross flooded Welney Wash
Wisbech now sit second in the league, three points behind Mildenhall with a game in hand. They will contest another massive game on Saturday when Dereham Town visit the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium.
Appleby has allowed keeper Tom Roberts, who is now back from injury, to join Boston Town on loan.
Young star Toby Ogbonna, brother of top scorer Dubi, is also set to join Fenland neighbours March Town United on loan.