Wallis helps March retain Ernie Wool Trophy with seven-wicket thrashing of Wisbech
MARCH II captain Stephen Wallis lifted the Ernie Wool Trophy for the second time in two seasons on Sunday after his side thumped rivals Wisbech III by seven wickets.
In a repeat of last year’s final, opening batsman Wallis brought the curtain down on March’s season by steering his side to a memorable win over their neighbours.
Promising all-rounder Josh Jackman put March in control with an inspired piece of bowling - taking 4-12 from his eight overs to leave Wisbech in trouble.
James Sheppard top-scored with 30 but Jackman was well supported by Jacob Gray (2-24) and David Haslegrave (2-25) as Wisbech were restricted to 146-8 from their 40 overs.
March’s reply was anchored by the skipper himself. Wallis struck six boundaries on his way to a fluent 58 with support coming from Haslegrave (46) and Jake Beart (25).
You may also want to watch:
Tommy Williams (2-24) and Tom Chapman (1-29) tried to lead a comeback but March cruised to victory in the 38th over.
The silverware caps a successful season for March’s second team who finished as runners-up in Cambs Senior Division One.
- 1 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 2 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 3 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 4 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 5 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 6 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 7 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 8 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 9 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 10 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years