Water-skiing: Building on 2006 success
THREE Fenland water ski racers are looking forward to new challenges in the new year following a successful 2006. Sean McCann, 17, from Chatteris, completed his final year as a junior racer and almost took the National Water Ski Racing Championships juni
THREE Fenland water ski racers are looking forward to new challenges in the new year following a successful 2006.
Sean McCann, 17, from Chatteris, completed his final year as a junior racer and almost took the National Water Ski Racing Championships junior title.
An excellent victory in Hunstanton gave him a chance of winning the title but he was cruelly denied by engine problems in the final race of the year and had to settle for second place.
Despite 2006 being his first year as a national skier, Ashley Redhead, 23, from March, was also in with a chance of a national title going into the final Formula Three race.
You may also want to watch:
A victory in Weston-super-Mare, in July, put Ashley in with a chance but after a finish behind tough opposition in the final race, he had to settle for second place in the national standings.
And the good news continued with Chatteris' Matthew Fielding, 20, who finished third in the national Formula Two championships.
- 1 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 2 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 3 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 4 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 5 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 6 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 7 9 never to be forgotten moments from Cambridgeshire politicians
- 8 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 9 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 10 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
Matthew faced competition from some of the world's best racers in a keenly-contested formula but produced high standard performances to finish the season on a high.
He will be joined by Ashley in Formula Two for the 2007 season and Sean is now making preparations for his step up from junior to senior Formula Three racing.
All three skiers are also hoping to race in Australia during November.