‘We could have scored double’ - Wisbech disappointed despite 66-12 Junior Vase win
WISBECH Rugby Club took another step towards Twickenham by thumping Thetford 66-12 in the Junior Vase - but both coach and captain were DISAPPOINTED with the rout.
In-form Wisbech breezed into the fourth round, running in 10 tries against the Greene King Eastern Counties Division Two high-flyers at Harecroft Road on Saturday.
But coach Ben McCall said his troops could easily have scored DOUBLE the number of points they ended up with.
“If we’d played like we can then we could have scored well over 100 points,” he said. “It could have been that bad and it should have been that bad.
“The lads were disappointed and that attitude is pleasing because we know we can play better. We want to set our stall out for the rest of the cup and we want teams to see our scores and fear playing us.
You may also want to watch:
“We will have to play better than that if we want to get to Twickenham.”
Centre Jon Turner continued his incredible form with a hat-trick of tries while skipper Shane Vickers and winger Joe Barfoot both scored two.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 7 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 8 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
Nathaniel Humphreys, Tom Martell and Mark Laws - who was also in fine kicking form - sealed the win with tries of their own.
Captain Vickers said: “We’ve always been there or thereabouts in the Vase but to go all the way to Twickenham would really put Wisbech Rugby Club on the map.
“Our team can beat anyone in this competition - bring it on.”
Wisbech, who have won all eight of their Greene King Eastern Counties Division One matches, host Crusaders in the league tomorrow.
They travel to title rivals Cantabrigians next Saturday and seats are available on the bus travelling to the top-of-the-table clash. To book your place call Shane Vickers on 07751415123.