‘We could have scored double’ - Wisbech disappointed despite 66-12 Junior Vase win
WISBECH Rugby Club took another step towards Twickenham by thumping Thetford 66-12 in the Junior Vase - but both coach and captain were DISAPPOINTED with the rout.
In-form Wisbech breezed into the fourth round, running in 10 tries against the Greene King Eastern Counties Division Two high-flyers at Harecroft Road on Saturday.
But coach Ben McCall said his troops could easily have scored DOUBLE the number of points they ended up with.
“If we’d played like we can then we could have scored well over 100 points,” he said. “It could have been that bad and it should have been that bad.
“The lads were disappointed and that attitude is pleasing because we know we can play better. We want to set our stall out for the rest of the cup and we want teams to see our scores and fear playing us.
You may also want to watch:
“We will have to play better than that if we want to get to Twickenham.”
Centre Jon Turner continued his incredible form with a hat-trick of tries while skipper Shane Vickers and winger Joe Barfoot both scored two.
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 3 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 4 March Town mark long-awaited step five return with opening day defeat
- 5 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 6 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 7 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 8 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 9 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 10 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
Nathaniel Humphreys, Tom Martell and Mark Laws - who was also in fine kicking form - sealed the win with tries of their own.
Captain Vickers said: “We’ve always been there or thereabouts in the Vase but to go all the way to Twickenham would really put Wisbech Rugby Club on the map.
“Our team can beat anyone in this competition - bring it on.”
Wisbech, who have won all eight of their Greene King Eastern Counties Division One matches, host Crusaders in the league tomorrow.
They travel to title rivals Cantabrigians next Saturday and seats are available on the bus travelling to the top-of-the-table clash. To book your place call Shane Vickers on 07751415123.