‘We let the fans down’ - Appleby frustrated as Wisbech Town fall to 2-0 semi-final defeat
MANAGER Steve Appleby said Wisbech Town had let the fans down after they limped out of the Cambs Invitation Cup last night.
The Fenmen missed out on a cup-final trip to Cambridge United’s Abbey Stadium after falling to a 2-0 semi-final defeat against Soham Town Rangers.
And Appleby said he was frustrated with his side’s “flat” performance in front of vocal home support at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium.
“We weren’t at the races,” he said.
“I said to the boys at half time that it was a semi-final and if they couldn’t get up for it there was something very wrong. We were just flat.
You may also want to watch:
“We feel as though we have let ourselves down and we feel like we let the fans down.
“We just haven’t performed and there’s nothing worse as a player, especially in a game like that. We have wasted a good opportunity.”
- 1 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 2 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 3 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 4 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 5 Crossing company praised for using local workers and suppliers
- 6 Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
- 7 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 8 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 9 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 10 Suspected hare coursers get 4x4 stuck after crashing nose first in ditch
Goals from Dubi Ogbonna and Scott Carter were enough to send former Fenmen striker Andy Furnell’s Soham through to the final on April 18.
But the Greens had to ride their luck in the first half, as Callum Reed and Chris Bacon saw their goals ruled out, for a foul and offside respectively.
The loss came after Appleby had ended doubts over his future by agreeing to stay with the Fenmen next season.
Wisbech travel to Hadleigh United in the Ridgeons Premier Division on Saturday.
• FOR FULL REACTION TO THE GAME AND TO FIND OUT WHY STEVE APPLEBY PLANS TO STAY WITH THE FENMEN SEE THIS WEEK’S WISBECH STANDARD.