‘We let the fans down’ - Appleby frustrated as Wisbech Town fall to 2-0 semi-final defeat
MANAGER Steve Appleby said Wisbech Town had let the fans down after they limped out of the Cambs Invitation Cup last night.
The Fenmen missed out on a cup-final trip to Cambridge United’s Abbey Stadium after falling to a 2-0 semi-final defeat against Soham Town Rangers.
And Appleby said he was frustrated with his side’s “flat” performance in front of vocal home support at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium.
“We weren’t at the races,” he said.
“I said to the boys at half time that it was a semi-final and if they couldn’t get up for it there was something very wrong. We were just flat.
“We feel as though we have let ourselves down and we feel like we let the fans down.
“We just haven’t performed and there’s nothing worse as a player, especially in a game like that. We have wasted a good opportunity.”
- 1 Cable fault caused power cut for more than 350 customers in Wisbech
- 2 PROFILE: Steve Barclay – MP for NE Cambs and front man for Boris Johnson
- 3 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 4 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 5 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 6 Replacement home not good enough says council
- 7 Large Hotel of the Year winner is proud of its history
- 8 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 9 March set to light a beacon for Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Man who ran 'fly-tippers paradise’ faces £32,000 bill
Goals from Dubi Ogbonna and Scott Carter were enough to send former Fenmen striker Andy Furnell’s Soham through to the final on April 18.
But the Greens had to ride their luck in the first half, as Callum Reed and Chris Bacon saw their goals ruled out, for a foul and offside respectively.
The loss came after Appleby had ended doubts over his future by agreeing to stay with the Fenmen next season.
Wisbech travel to Hadleigh United in the Ridgeons Premier Division on Saturday.
• FOR FULL REACTION TO THE GAME AND TO FIND OUT WHY STEVE APPLEBY PLANS TO STAY WITH THE FENMEN SEE THIS WEEK’S WISBECH STANDARD.