‘We let the fans down’ - Appleby frustrated as Wisbech Town fall to 2-0 semi-final defeat
MANAGER Steve Appleby said Wisbech Town had let the fans down after they limped out of the Cambs Invitation Cup last night.
The Fenmen missed out on a cup-final trip to Cambridge United’s Abbey Stadium after falling to a 2-0 semi-final defeat against Soham Town Rangers.
And Appleby said he was frustrated with his side’s “flat” performance in front of vocal home support at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium.
“We weren’t at the races,” he said.
“I said to the boys at half time that it was a semi-final and if they couldn’t get up for it there was something very wrong. We were just flat.
You may also want to watch:
“We feel as though we have let ourselves down and we feel like we let the fans down.
“We just haven’t performed and there’s nothing worse as a player, especially in a game like that. We have wasted a good opportunity.”
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 3 March Town mark long-awaited step five return with opening day defeat
- 4 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 5 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 6 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 7 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 8 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 9 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 10 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
Goals from Dubi Ogbonna and Scott Carter were enough to send former Fenmen striker Andy Furnell’s Soham through to the final on April 18.
But the Greens had to ride their luck in the first half, as Callum Reed and Chris Bacon saw their goals ruled out, for a foul and offside respectively.
The loss came after Appleby had ended doubts over his future by agreeing to stay with the Fenmen next season.
Wisbech travel to Hadleigh United in the Ridgeons Premier Division on Saturday.
• FOR FULL REACTION TO THE GAME AND TO FIND OUT WHY STEVE APPLEBY PLANS TO STAY WITH THE FENMEN SEE THIS WEEK’S WISBECH STANDARD.