Welcher sent-off as last-gasp goal earns March Town United 1-1 draw
A GOAL in the sixth minute of added time saved 10-man March Town United’s blushes on Saturday as they drew 1-1 with struggling Stowmarket Town.
The Hares were seconds away from being humbled in Suffolk, against a team who started the day bottom of the Ridgeons First Division. But a last-gasp scramble in the hosts’ box resulted in Ash Brand flicking the ball past the ‘keeper to give third-placed March a share of the points.
Neither side would have been delighted with the result, in a game which saw nine bookings and two red cards dished out by the referee.
Full-back Marc Welcher was given his marching orders for a challenge mid-way through the second half, while Stowmarket’s Yani Duka was also dismissed for pushing Welcher in the resultant melee.
Ondre Odain and Gavin Cooke were given yellow cards, while captain Luke Pepper was controversially booked for diving, when the Hares’ appeals for a penalty were snubbed.
You may also want to watch:
A stunning overhead kick from Chris Gray had seen Stowmarket lead for the majority of the game.
March Town United host Whittlesey United in a friendly tomorrow night. Kick-off is 7.45pm and admission is free.
- 1 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 2 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 3 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 4 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 5 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 6 Man attempts to smuggle MDMA tablets disguised as Mars Bar into jail
- 7 Slimmer's life-changing weight loss story
- 8 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 9 Man, 39, convicted of assault on two HMRC officers by beating
- 10 Tributes to 'loving, kind family man' and community stalwart
The Hares travel to Thetford Town in the Ridgeons First Division Knockout Cup on Saturday.