Welcher sent-off as last-gasp goal earns March Town United 1-1 draw
A GOAL in the sixth minute of added time saved 10-man March Town United’s blushes on Saturday as they drew 1-1 with struggling Stowmarket Town.
The Hares were seconds away from being humbled in Suffolk, against a team who started the day bottom of the Ridgeons First Division. But a last-gasp scramble in the hosts’ box resulted in Ash Brand flicking the ball past the ‘keeper to give third-placed March a share of the points.
Neither side would have been delighted with the result, in a game which saw nine bookings and two red cards dished out by the referee.
Full-back Marc Welcher was given his marching orders for a challenge mid-way through the second half, while Stowmarket’s Yani Duka was also dismissed for pushing Welcher in the resultant melee.
Ondre Odain and Gavin Cooke were given yellow cards, while captain Luke Pepper was controversially booked for diving, when the Hares’ appeals for a penalty were snubbed.
A stunning overhead kick from Chris Gray had seen Stowmarket lead for the majority of the game.
March Town United host Whittlesey United in a friendly tomorrow night. Kick-off is 7.45pm and admission is free.
- 1 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 2 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 3 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 4 Man dies after van and lorry crash on A141
- 5 Man charged with attempted murder as stab victim is found
- 6 Dealer responsible for £500k worth of drugs caught
- 7 Domestic abuser tried to strangle and suffocate mother of his child
- 8 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 9 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 10 Man who died in A141 crash named
The Hares travel to Thetford Town in the Ridgeons First Division Knockout Cup on Saturday.