Welcher sent-off as last-gasp goal earns March Town United 1-1 draw
A GOAL in the sixth minute of added time saved 10-man March Town United’s blushes on Saturday as they drew 1-1 with struggling Stowmarket Town.
The Hares were seconds away from being humbled in Suffolk, against a team who started the day bottom of the Ridgeons First Division. But a last-gasp scramble in the hosts’ box resulted in Ash Brand flicking the ball past the ‘keeper to give third-placed March a share of the points.
Neither side would have been delighted with the result, in a game which saw nine bookings and two red cards dished out by the referee.
Full-back Marc Welcher was given his marching orders for a challenge mid-way through the second half, while Stowmarket’s Yani Duka was also dismissed for pushing Welcher in the resultant melee.
Ondre Odain and Gavin Cooke were given yellow cards, while captain Luke Pepper was controversially booked for diving, when the Hares’ appeals for a penalty were snubbed.
You may also want to watch:
A stunning overhead kick from Chris Gray had seen Stowmarket lead for the majority of the game.
March Town United host Whittlesey United in a friendly tomorrow night. Kick-off is 7.45pm and admission is free.
- 1 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 2 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 MP praises 'fantastic' vaccine team after having Covid-19 jab
- 5 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 6 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 7 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 8 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 9 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 10 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
The Hares travel to Thetford Town in the Ridgeons First Division Knockout Cup on Saturday.