Whaley delighted with March Town United’s pre-season form ahead of Ridgeons kick-off
MARCH Town United boss Brett Whaley has declared himself delighted with the Hares’ scintillating form during pre-season.
The Hares thumped Whittlesey United 5-0 on Saturday before drawing 0-0 with Soham Town Rangers - who play two levels higher than March - on Tuesday.
Whaley’s new-look outfit have tasted just one defeat in their seven friendlies this summer.
The Hares boss said: “We looked pretty strong going forward against Whittlesey and we defended really well against a strong Soham side.
“They have been many more positives than negatives and I don’t feel pre-season could have gone any better. If we have a slow start I won’t be panicking. Our final league position will not be the same in August as it will come the end of the season.
“We will only continue to develop and get better as time goes on. All we need now is to play more games together.”
Captain Luke Pepper’s brace and goals from Stu Anderson - his seventh of pre-season - Ash Brand and Andy Wayte secured Saturday’s comfortable win.
- 1 Three March locals win £30k each on Postcode Lottery
- 2 Council calls for return to mask wearing as Covid soars
- 3 Man assaulted partner and police officers in March
- 4 Police officer dismissed for breaching bail conditions
- 5 Carnival lights up village as sports day marks 100 years
- 6 Arsonist started fire in Wisbech care home
- 7 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 8 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 9 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 10 Big Bash concludes eight days of triumph for town
In a further boost to Whaley’s plans wideman Ricki Goodale has joined the club. The Hares have also added two Soham youngsters, Tom Norton and Scott Davis, to their squad on loan deals.
Whaley said of the Soham duo: “They’re both young lads who haven’t played at Ryman level but Soham believe they have the potential - just not the experience - to do so.
“I’m good friends with Andy Furnell (Soham boss) and it’s a relationship I would like us to develop. They can both be recalled but for now the situation is good for us, the pair of them and Soham.”
March host last season’s runners-up Whitton United in their first Ridgeons First Division game of the season on Saturday before travelling to Godmanchester Rovers on Wednesday.
Whaley will be without midfielder Kyle Nolan who has been for a scan on an ankle injury he picked up during pre-season.
The March boss said: “It’s a bit of a kick in the teeth about Kyle but once he’s fit I’m confident he’ll be a massive player for us.
“Whitton will be one of the best sides we will play and I’d have liked to have had an easier start but you’ve got to play everybody twice.”