Whittlesey referee picks up prestigious FA award at Wembley
- Credit: The FA via Getty Images
A WHITTLESEY referee was recognised for his outstanding contribution to football on the game’s grandest stage.
Robert Windle, 50, was presented with an Outstanding Contribution To Refereeing Within a Referee Development Setting Award at Wembley Stadium before the England Scotland clash last Wednesday by Premiership referee Andre Marriner.
He was one of the referees recognised in the inaugral FA Carlsberg Referee Awards, a scheme set up to highlight the work being done by referees at grassroots level across the country.
Windle was shortlisted by the Cambridgeshire FA panel in March and put forward to The FA judging panel chaired by former Premiership referee and current chairman of The FA Referees’ Committee David Elleray.
Windle said: “It was been well worth the trip to pick up my FA Carlsberg Award with fellow winners tonight and to be at Wembley to soak up the atmosphere of an England Scotland game.
You may also want to watch:
“My award involved working with younger referees who had just passed their courses. We want to develop their potential and give them an opportunity to still be involved in refereeing in the future.
“I act as a mentor of sorts and hope that I can help future generations and pass on my knowledge.”
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 7 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 8 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
Elleray said: “Windle thoroughly deserved this award. His nomination stood out amongst the others shortlisted from Cambridgeshire.”
Windle is running a refereeing course next week at Stonald Field, Whittlesey Junior Football Club.
The course, which costs £95, will run on Tuesday and Wednesday from 9am-3pm and on Thursday from 9am-noon.
If you complete it you will be allowed to referee junior football games. For more information call Robert on 07970 228790