Whittlesey referee picks up prestigious FA award at Wembley
- Credit: The FA via Getty Images
A WHITTLESEY referee was recognised for his outstanding contribution to football on the game’s grandest stage.
Robert Windle, 50, was presented with an Outstanding Contribution To Refereeing Within a Referee Development Setting Award at Wembley Stadium before the England Scotland clash last Wednesday by Premiership referee Andre Marriner.
He was one of the referees recognised in the inaugral FA Carlsberg Referee Awards, a scheme set up to highlight the work being done by referees at grassroots level across the country.
Windle was shortlisted by the Cambridgeshire FA panel in March and put forward to The FA judging panel chaired by former Premiership referee and current chairman of The FA Referees’ Committee David Elleray.
Windle said: “It was been well worth the trip to pick up my FA Carlsberg Award with fellow winners tonight and to be at Wembley to soak up the atmosphere of an England Scotland game.
You may also want to watch:
“My award involved working with younger referees who had just passed their courses. We want to develop their potential and give them an opportunity to still be involved in refereeing in the future.
“I act as a mentor of sorts and hope that I can help future generations and pass on my knowledge.”
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 3 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 4 March Town mark long-awaited step five return with opening day defeat
- 5 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 6 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 7 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 8 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 9 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 10 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
Elleray said: “Windle thoroughly deserved this award. His nomination stood out amongst the others shortlisted from Cambridgeshire.”
Windle is running a refereeing course next week at Stonald Field, Whittlesey Junior Football Club.
The course, which costs £95, will run on Tuesday and Wednesday from 9am-3pm and on Thursday from 9am-noon.
If you complete it you will be allowed to referee junior football games. For more information call Robert on 07970 228790