Whittlesey sports enthusiast, 47, plays cricket on Caribbean test ground
A SPORTS enthusiast from Whittlesey fulfilled a long-term ambition when he played cricket on a test ground in the Caribbean.
Robert Windle, better known in footballing circles for organising mid-week 7-a-side leagues in Peterborough and training referees across Fenland, organised a match at the Windsor Park stadium on the island of Dominica.
The 47-year-old visited the stadium last year, which has hosted West Indies one-day international matches, and met the venue’s manager Major Francis Richards and the president of the Dominica FA Patrick John.
He returned while travelling on a cruise and managed to organise a game with like-minded individuals who wanted to play at the 12,000 capacity stadium in the city of Roseau.
Windle said: “It was a great experience and due to the success of the venture and other meetings with sports and tourism ministers there is now an interest in playing at three other Caribbean test grounds.”
You may also want to watch:
The two-hour game enabled everybody to bat and bowl and a donation was made to assist the hosts in purchasing a new clock for the ground.
Robert Edmunds from Peterborough also played in front of the 150-strong crowd and said he enjoyed the “unique experience” of playing on a test ground.
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 3 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 6 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 7 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 8 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 9 Students dare to dream of England Lionesses spot after trial success
- 10 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
The ground will host its first test match in July when West Indies play India.