Whittlesey Under-10s loved meeting stars at National Football Festival
WHITTLESEY Junior Football Club’s youngsters lived many children’s dreams last week as they met Sir Geoff Hurst and played at Wembley Stadium.
The club’s Under-10s side, representing the Cambridgeshire Football Association, joined over 700 children from across the country at the annual McDonald’s National Football Festival in London.
Whittlesey coach John Setchfield said: “We’d love the opportunity to come back again another year. It was superb.
“We all enjoyed it and it was a nice reward for the hard work the club put in last season.”
Manchester United striker Michael Owen cast his eye over the young players who enjoyed a day of mini-tournaments and coaching before gracing the hallowed Wembley turf just 24 hours after England captain Steven Gerrard has scored a breathtaking double to beat Hungary 2-1.
You may also want to watch:
Owen said: “It’s fantastic to see so many children here enjoying their football.
“It’s a festival of football so it is all about enjoying the sport and getting a chance to play at Wembley is a superb opportunity.
- 1 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 2 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- 3 Man who died in road crash is named
- 4 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 5 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 6 Reporter shares mid-treatment stages of teeth transformation
- 7 Wright hopes overseas ace's return boosts March Town play-off hopes
- 8 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 9 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 10 MP praises 'fantastic' vaccine team after having Covid-19 jab
“I’m sure we’ll see one or two go on to play football at a high level but at this stage it’s about the children enjoying themselves.”
McDonald’s proudly supports football in Britain’s communities. We’re providing more opportunities for anyone to volunteer and qualify as community coaches plus increasing access to free qualified coaching for youngsters everywhere. For more information please go to www.mcdonalds.co.uk