Winger McDonough leaves March Town United to join UCL Premier Division Yaxley
LEFT-WINGER James McDonough has left March Town United to join United Counties League Premier Division outfit Yaxley.
Hares boss Brett Whaley confirmed McDonough’s departure this morning after he waived Yaxley’s seven-day approach to allow the deal to go through immediately.
Whaley said: “Yaxley play a level above us so it’s a good opportunity for James to step up and I don’t want to stand in his way.
“He was fantastic during pre-season but had slipped down the pecking order here due to the form of Ash Brand and Rikki Goodale. They’ve stepped up when they’ve had the chance and that’s just what happens.
“He was going to have to fight to get his place back and I suppose it looks like he might get more action straight away at Yaxley.
“He told me he wanted to go and realistically he hasn’t been in our starting 11 for a few weeks so the deal works well for them, him and us.
“I needed to trim our squad slightly because realistically I’m never going to be able to keep 20-25 players happy. I hope he does well and I wish him all the best.
- 1 56-bed care home backers revise access proposals
- 2 Council to spend a penny or two from £8.4m 'pot' on new loos
- 3 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 4 Seven places where £4.9m road maintenance has been approved
- 5 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 6 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 7 Knife attack man hid over £3,500 of drugs at mum's home
- 8 Footballer, Harry, hoping for future in professional football
- 9 Depleted villagers battle on in courageous defeat
- 10 £4,000 raised for Natalie to live her dreams after cancer diagnosis
“His move shows just how good our squad is looking if a Step 5 club want to sign a player that’s only been on the fringes of our side.”
McDonough joined March from Deeping Rangers in the summer.