Winger McDonough leaves March Town United to join UCL Premier Division Yaxley
LEFT-WINGER James McDonough has left March Town United to join United Counties League Premier Division outfit Yaxley.
Hares boss Brett Whaley confirmed McDonough’s departure this morning after he waived Yaxley’s seven-day approach to allow the deal to go through immediately.
Whaley said: “Yaxley play a level above us so it’s a good opportunity for James to step up and I don’t want to stand in his way.
“He was fantastic during pre-season but had slipped down the pecking order here due to the form of Ash Brand and Rikki Goodale. They’ve stepped up when they’ve had the chance and that’s just what happens.
“He was going to have to fight to get his place back and I suppose it looks like he might get more action straight away at Yaxley.
You may also want to watch:
“He told me he wanted to go and realistically he hasn’t been in our starting 11 for a few weeks so the deal works well for them, him and us.
“I needed to trim our squad slightly because realistically I’m never going to be able to keep 20-25 players happy. I hope he does well and I wish him all the best.
- 1 Watch the moment E-scooter rider, 16, narrowly misses crashing into bus
- 2 Mobile upgrade work may cause TV interference
- 3 Rob's 'walk of thanks' for Magpas Air Ambulance
- 4 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 5 MP the “most handsome and kindest member of the government’
- 6 ‘Enough is enough’ says MP at the scene of drink drive crash
- 7 Depleted Bears fight back to earn friendly victory
- 8 Covid-19 job loss prompts Martin to launch out on his own
- 9 'No excuse' not to publish costs says funeral director
- 10 Plea to council to halt £6.5m crematorium plan
“His move shows just how good our squad is looking if a Step 5 club want to sign a player that’s only been on the fringes of our side.”
McDonough joined March from Deeping Rangers in the summer.