Wisbech ace Bushell bags double world jet ski crown to make British sporting history
A WISBECH jet skier made sporting history by becoming the first British competitor to win two world titles at the same championship.
James Bushell, 27, fought off a world class field to take the Pro Open and Pro GP titles at the 2011 International Jet Sports Boating Association World Championships in Lake Havasu, USA.
The stunning success follows Bushell’s double European jet ski championship success in August. He now has four world titles to his name.
Bushell said: “It was pretty special having my dad (Steve) there on the beach to greet me at the finish line.
“He’s very happy, I’m very happy, and it felt very good. I knew I had a pretty good lead on Dustin Farthing so I was just cruising the last few laps.”
You may also want to watch:
The 27-year-old’s stunning success came in front of more than 7,000 jet ski enthusiasts, many of whom have grown to love the Wisbech racer commonly known as ‘Bushy’ on the circuit.
Matt Bullock, Bushell’s business partner at 158 Performance from Tallington, said: “The whole team has been celebrating the great news and we’re looking forward to welcoming Bushy home.
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 3 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 4 March Town mark long-awaited step five return with opening day defeat
- 5 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 6 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 7 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 8 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 9 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 10 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
“It’s an absolutely amazing achievement and we are so proud of James’ performance. He’s an incredible sportsman and he’s going to need an even bigger trophy cabinet now!
“We’ll certainly be helping him celebrate when he returns to the UK.”