Wisbech Acorns are one of Cambridgeshire FA’s Grass Roots Heroes
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town Acorns have been named as one of Cambridgeshire FA’s Grass Roots Heroes and the Standard Charter club has now been shortlisted for the regional awards.
And all this after the under-16s, pictured above, won their Cambridge & District Colts League Division D title with a 2-1 win against Isleham last week.
Spokesman for the club, Kelley Lewis, said: “We are really pleased to be recognised for our hard work and dedication over the past 12 months.
“We are fully committed to raising standards in grass roots football and maintaining our ethos of developing children of all ages regardless of ability.
“All of our coaches are FA licensed and committed to taking on extra personal development.
“It is with immense pride that I say well done and congratulations to all the volunteers, players, parents and supporters.”
Also making the list of eight, for his outstanding contribution to community football, was Martin Holmes of Wisbech St Mary, and volunteer of the year Katie Conyard of March Soccer School.”
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 3 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 4 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 5 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 6 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 7 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 8 Rachael takes bronze at national hairdressing competition
- 9 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 10 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
Joe Goude, Cambridgeshire FA’s county development manager, said: “The grass roots awards are a chance for us to recognise those volunteers, coaches and clubs that sacrifice so much throughout the year and say thank you to them.
“Without them we wouldn’t have safe and structured environments where youngsters can develop their footballing talent.”