Wisbech Acorns are one of Cambridgeshire FA’s Grass Roots Heroes
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town Acorns have been named as one of Cambridgeshire FA’s Grass Roots Heroes and the Standard Charter club has now been shortlisted for the regional awards.
And all this after the under-16s, pictured above, won their Cambridge & District Colts League Division D title with a 2-1 win against Isleham last week.
Spokesman for the club, Kelley Lewis, said: “We are really pleased to be recognised for our hard work and dedication over the past 12 months.
“We are fully committed to raising standards in grass roots football and maintaining our ethos of developing children of all ages regardless of ability.
“All of our coaches are FA licensed and committed to taking on extra personal development.
You may also want to watch:
“It is with immense pride that I say well done and congratulations to all the volunteers, players, parents and supporters.”
Also making the list of eight, for his outstanding contribution to community football, was Martin Holmes of Wisbech St Mary, and volunteer of the year Katie Conyard of March Soccer School.”
- 1 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 2 Residents escape kitchen fire after bank holiday blaze
- 3 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 4 Retrospective bid for travellers' site
- 5 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 6 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 7 Former homeless recreate ‘Lunch atop a Skyscraper’ photograph
- 8 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely
- 9 Cash machine grabbed in East Cambs ram raid
- 10 12 exciting new businesses to discover when lockdown restrictions ease
Joe Goude, Cambridgeshire FA’s county development manager, said: “The grass roots awards are a chance for us to recognise those volunteers, coaches and clubs that sacrifice so much throughout the year and say thank you to them.
“Without them we wouldn’t have safe and structured environments where youngsters can develop their footballing talent.”