Wisbech Avaddon fighter Charlie Day wins bronze at World Mixed Martial Arts Championships in Las Vegas
- Credit: Archant
A Wisbech mixed martial artist has returned from the World MMA Championships in Las Vegas with a bronze medal in the lightweight division.
Representing Great Britain Charlie Day, 23, who trains at Wisbech’s Avaddon MMA Academy, claimed wins over challengers from Portugal and Lebanon before losing his semi-final to the gold medal winning American.
Fellow Wisbech fighter Jamie Powell also competed in the championships but was beaten by the same opponent.
Coach Chris Ellington said: “We are over the moon with what Charlie achieved. He exceeded our expectations. He is normally a featherweight so he went up a weight, which was a real ask for him (he went up from 66kg to 70kg).
“Jamie unfortunately had a really hard draw. He will be turning pro but Charlie might hold on until next year’s World Championships to have another shot at it.”
You may also want to watch:
Powell fought first in the flyweight division and looked comfortable in the fight but the American proved to be too experienced and caught him in a choke in the second round.
On the second day of the championships Day was up against the Portuguese opponent. The fight stayed standing until the last 10 seconds where Day knocked his opponent to the floor. Day was announced the winner by unanimous decision.
- 1 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 2 Pub car park approved despite 13 residents' noise concerns
- 3 Stunning drone footage shows prom night in all its glory
- 4 Pub demolition decision deferred
- 5 Yard sale raises over £1,400 from second annual event
- 6 Work starts on £3.16m apprenticeship training school
- 7 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologises after 90mph police pursuit
- 8 Councillors praised for 'tireless' illegal encampment work
- 9 Rural theft cost Cambridgeshire £2 million in 2020
- 10 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
His next contest was against the Lebanese contender where Day won a closely fought fight which gained him a place in the semi final.
The semi final saw Day in a tough test against a strong American who proved too experienced leaving Charlie with a bronze medal.
Both Day and Powell will be fighting on the next Impact Fight UK event held on Saturday, August 2 at the Hudson Sports Centre in Wisbech.
There will be about 16 bouts including MMA, K1 and boxing held in an 18 foot octagon.
To get tickets for the Impact Fight show or find out more about Avaddon MMA Academy, which is sponsored by Fenmarc, call Chris Ellington on 07798 872447.