Wisbech boxer, 13, upsets the odds to reach national semi-finals
- Credit: Archant
BOXING talent Ryan Davies stunned a more experienced opponent to power into the semi-finals of the Amateur Boxing Association Schools Championships.
The 13-year-old Eastern Counties champion, of Wisbech Amateur Boxing Club, beat Cheshunt Boxing Club’s George Montague in his quarter-final bout on Sunday.
He will be bidding to reach the schoolboys 48-50kg final when he steps into the ring in Portsmouth for his semi-final clash on Saturday.
Wisbech trainer Buddy Lee paid tribute to his young fighter, who only started boxing 18 months ago.
“He’s done great,” he said. “We did not expect him to win because the guy he was boxing had fought 18 times. We went there for the experience and Ryan’s done really well.
“Since he started he has really come along. He is a fast learner and he has listened to my instructions.
“This competition is going to get harder and harder but I’ve got faith in Ryan that he can step it up.”
- 1 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 2 Wembley debut 'a highlight of my career' for footballer Reece
- 3 March set to light a beacon for Platinum Jubilee
- 4 Drug-driver killed co-worker on B1101 Elm Road in March
- 5 Jon serves up a painting fit for Her Majesty
- 6 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 7 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 8 Herts man charged with alleged attempted robbery at village Co-op
- 9 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 10 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
Andrew Davies, Ryan’s father, said he was the first person in the family to box.
“I tried to put him off it but he really wanted to do it,” he said. “He packed in football and started training and now he boxes three times a week.
“He is so dedicated. He struggled to get bouts at first because there are not many people in the area in the 48-50kg category but he then got the chance to enter the schoolboy division.
“I’m very proud at the moment. This weekend’s fight will be another step up but what he has done is a great achievement.”