Wisbech boxer Davies, 13, beaten in semi-finals of Amateur Boxing Association Schools Championships
- Credit: Archant
EXCITING prospect Ryan Davies put in a gutsy performance against last year’s schoolboys champion but lost in the semi-finals of the Amateur Boxing Association Schools Championships.
The 13-year-old Wisbech Amateur Boxing Club star, who started boxing just 18 months ago, upset a more experienced opponent in his quarter-final bout but was second best at the weekend.
His opponent Billy King, from Guildford ABC, won last year’s 46kg schoolboys champion by a margin of 25 points but Davies took the fight to his impressive rival.
Davies boxed with composure but his opponent’s speed and technique proved decisive and the referee stepped in to stop the bout in the last round.
Andrew Davies, Ryan’s father, said his son was philosophical about the defeat.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “He took the defeat really well and was just happy for the opportunity and experience.
“I doubt he will come up against someone of this boxer’s ability in the near future but at least he is prepared now and hopefully can take this experience with him over the coming years.
- 1 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 2 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 3 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 4 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 5 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 6 Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
- 7 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 8 Crossing company praised for using local workers and suppliers
- 9 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 10 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
“Hopefully he can gain a lot more experience over the next year and progress through to the schoolboys next year.
“I am just as proud as I was last week, especially seeing how brave he was against such an accomplished boxer.”