Wisbech boxer Davies, 13, beaten in semi-finals of Amateur Boxing Association Schools Championships
- Credit: Archant
EXCITING prospect Ryan Davies put in a gutsy performance against last year’s schoolboys champion but lost in the semi-finals of the Amateur Boxing Association Schools Championships.
The 13-year-old Wisbech Amateur Boxing Club star, who started boxing just 18 months ago, upset a more experienced opponent in his quarter-final bout but was second best at the weekend.
His opponent Billy King, from Guildford ABC, won last year’s 46kg schoolboys champion by a margin of 25 points but Davies took the fight to his impressive rival.
Davies boxed with composure but his opponent’s speed and technique proved decisive and the referee stepped in to stop the bout in the last round.
Andrew Davies, Ryan’s father, said his son was philosophical about the defeat.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “He took the defeat really well and was just happy for the opportunity and experience.
“I doubt he will come up against someone of this boxer’s ability in the near future but at least he is prepared now and hopefully can take this experience with him over the coming years.
- 1 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 2 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 3 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 4 MP praises 'fantastic' vaccine team after having Covid-19 jab
- 5 Man who died in road crash is named
- 6 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 7 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 8 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 9 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 10 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
“Hopefully he can gain a lot more experience over the next year and progress through to the schoolboys next year.
“I am just as proud as I was last week, especially seeing how brave he was against such an accomplished boxer.”