Wisbech boxer Davies, 13, beaten in semi-finals of Amateur Boxing Association Schools Championships
- Credit: Archant
EXCITING prospect Ryan Davies put in a gutsy performance against last year’s schoolboys champion but lost in the semi-finals of the Amateur Boxing Association Schools Championships.
The 13-year-old Wisbech Amateur Boxing Club star, who started boxing just 18 months ago, upset a more experienced opponent in his quarter-final bout but was second best at the weekend.
His opponent Billy King, from Guildford ABC, won last year’s 46kg schoolboys champion by a margin of 25 points but Davies took the fight to his impressive rival.
Davies boxed with composure but his opponent’s speed and technique proved decisive and the referee stepped in to stop the bout in the last round.
Andrew Davies, Ryan’s father, said his son was philosophical about the defeat.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “He took the defeat really well and was just happy for the opportunity and experience.
“I doubt he will come up against someone of this boxer’s ability in the near future but at least he is prepared now and hopefully can take this experience with him over the coming years.
- 1 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 2 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 6 9 never to be forgotten moments from Cambridgeshire politicians
- 7 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 8 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 9 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 10 Motor cyclist killed in March crash
“Hopefully he can gain a lot more experience over the next year and progress through to the schoolboys next year.
“I am just as proud as I was last week, especially seeing how brave he was against such an accomplished boxer.”