Wisbech Cricket club agonisingly miss out on win but remain top of league
- Credit: Archant
WISBECH Cricket Club were denied a thrilling win over Foxton by their last wicket pair.
The batsmen battled hard on a difficult pitch to post 160 before Wisbech reduced Foxton to 151-9
But, despite a spirited effort, Wisbech were unable to take the final wicket.
The draw keeps Wisbech top of the Tucker Gardner League, five points clear of March.
Captain Alan Burton said: “Overall it was a really good team performance.
You may also want to watch:
“Our batsmen were put in on a green wicket and showed some good fight.
“The 20s and 30s they made were worth 50 or more on the day.
- 1 Watch the moment E-scooter rider, 16, narrowly misses crashing into bus
- 2 Mobile upgrade work may cause TV interference
- 3 Rob's 'walk of thanks' for Magpas Air Ambulance
- 4 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 5 MP the “most handsome and kindest member of the government’
- 6 Depleted Bears fight back to earn friendly victory
- 7 ‘Enough is enough’ says MP at the scene of drink drive crash
- 8 Drug dealing pair caught thanks to eagle-eyed neighbours
- 9 Covid-19 job loss prompts Martin to launch out on his own
- 10 'No excuse' not to publish costs says funeral director
“I felt 160 was enough to bowl them out and we bowled reasonably well but we just ran out of time.
“We did not do anything wrong. A draw was a fair result.
“It was one of our stronger performances of the season but it is frustrating that we could not get the last wicket.”
James Williams was again Wisbech’s star performer, scoring an unbeaten 28 and taking 4-35.
He received good support from Craig Johnson, who took 2-27, and Bradley Perrett, who claimed figures of 2-45.
Burton said: “Williams was outstanding. He has really knuckled down this year and is enjoying batting with the tail.
“His bowling is coming along as well.”
Wisbech welcome basement side Cambridge NCI on Saturday and Burton will not accept anything other than a win.
He said: “I expect us to beat them but that depends on our performance.
“In this league any team can win on a given day so we need to play well.”