Wisbech maintain challenge for league title with victory against Cogenhoe
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town kept up their challenge for the United Counties League Premier Division title with a 3-0 victory against Cogenhoe United last Saturday.
Leading scorer Alex Beck, midfielder Adam Milson and debutant Josh Davison hit the goals in the space of nine second-half minutes after the visitors were reduced to 10 men.
Beck, Michael Frew and Josh Ford all had good chances to open the scoring in a goalless opening half, but the turning point of the game came on 56 minutes when Cogenhoe’s Sean McBride was shown a straight red card for a two-footed challenge on Jon Fairweather.
Within minutes of the dismissal, Wisbech took command. Beck scored his 34th of the season with an excellent finish and shortly afterwards Millson doubled their lead.
Young striker Davison, who is on loan from Peterborough United, then sealed victory in front of a crowd of 188. He tucked away a Frew pass to complete the scoring only moments after being introuced as a substitute.
You may also want to watch:
Manager Gary Setchell said “I felt we were in full control of the game. We had five or six good chances in the first half and Cogenhoe didn’t really have an opportunity all game.
“It was a workmanlike rather than spectacular performance from us, but that was understandable on a difficult pitch.
- 1 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 2 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 3 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 4 Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
- 5 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 6 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 7 Crossing company praised for using local workers and suppliers
- 8 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 9 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 10 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
“We had to keep doing the right things and we get our rewards in the end. A great finish by Alex put us ahead and the other goals soon followed.”
Wisbech remain second in the Premier Division table, six points behind leaders Yaxley but with three matches in hand.
Wisbech host third-placed Newport Pagnell this Saturday.