Wisbech maintain challenge for league title with victory against Cogenhoe
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town kept up their challenge for the United Counties League Premier Division title with a 3-0 victory against Cogenhoe United last Saturday.
Leading scorer Alex Beck, midfielder Adam Milson and debutant Josh Davison hit the goals in the space of nine second-half minutes after the visitors were reduced to 10 men.
Beck, Michael Frew and Josh Ford all had good chances to open the scoring in a goalless opening half, but the turning point of the game came on 56 minutes when Cogenhoe’s Sean McBride was shown a straight red card for a two-footed challenge on Jon Fairweather.
Within minutes of the dismissal, Wisbech took command. Beck scored his 34th of the season with an excellent finish and shortly afterwards Millson doubled their lead.
Young striker Davison, who is on loan from Peterborough United, then sealed victory in front of a crowd of 188. He tucked away a Frew pass to complete the scoring only moments after being introuced as a substitute.
You may also want to watch:
Manager Gary Setchell said “I felt we were in full control of the game. We had five or six good chances in the first half and Cogenhoe didn’t really have an opportunity all game.
“It was a workmanlike rather than spectacular performance from us, but that was understandable on a difficult pitch.
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 3 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 4 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 6 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 7 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 8 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 9 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 10 Chief honours those who went 'over and beyond' to protect public
“We had to keep doing the right things and we get our rewards in the end. A great finish by Alex put us ahead and the other goals soon followed.”
Wisbech remain second in the Premier Division table, six points behind leaders Yaxley but with three matches in hand.
Wisbech host third-placed Newport Pagnell this Saturday.