Wisbech kickboxer, 12, ready to take on best in the world after amazing year
- Credit: Archant
A FENLAND kickboxing prodigy has gone from novice to possible world championship medal contender in the space of a year.
BCKA Peterborough fighter Charlotte Cameron, 12, of Wisbech. has enjoyed a meteoric rise in the sport, picking up a host of trophies.
She won gold at the WKC Great British Open last month and is due to compete in the WKC World Championships in Italy in October.
Stuart, her proud father, said: “She first took up the sport three years ago and has only been training seriously for the past year.
“I’ve been talking to the England coach and he reckons she’s got as good a chance as anyone. He says she could even come back with a medal.
“But for me it’s about gaining more experience and it is important she does not get too far ahead of herself.”
The family is looking for sponsors to assist with Charlotte’s blossoming career.
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 3 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 4 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman
- 5 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 6 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 7 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 8 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 9 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 10 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
They receive financial support from Thomas Clarkson Academy, where Charlotte is a student, but need to find £1,500 to enable her to test herself against the best fighters in the world in Italy.
Stuart said: “Her school has been really supportive. They gave her £250 to help fund her trip to the Irish Open and have agreed to sponsor her for £500 a year. We would really appreciate it if we could find a major sponsor to support Charlotte as well.”
To sponsor Charlotte, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org