Wisbech pair Quinney and Ayres become national indoor bowls champions
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Indoor Bowls Club pair Carol Quinney and Pauline Ayres have become national champions.
The ladies triumphed in the English Indoor Bowls Association over 60s pairs in Nottingham.
In the semi-final, Quinney and Ayres beat Somerset duo Alisa Midwinter and Teresa King 29-10.
The final was a topsy-turvy affair - their opponents Kath Delacoe and Beryl Alderson, from Redcar, made the better start, and were hotly tipped for the title when they opened up an 8-1 lead after five ends.
But the Wisbech duo scored 13 shots to one mid-game to lead 14-9 after 15 ends.
Redcar bounced back with five shots to level the scores at 14-14 on the 16th end, and it really was anyone’s game from then on.
At 17-16 to Wisbech, Redcar held the shot, and an extra end looked on the cards when Ayres delivered the last bowl of the game.
- 1 Cambridgeshire man stabbed partner in the neck while she held their baby
- 2 Pupils tell Ofsted school so good they don't want to leave
- 3 Man who ran 'fly-tippers paradise’ faces £32,000 bill
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 100th birthday for Clovelly House resident
- 6 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 7 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 8 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 9 Drug driver attacked man with metal pole and spat at police
- 10 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
But the Wisbech skip managed to juggle the bowls in the head to claim two shots for a 19-16 victory, and the title was theirs.