Wisbech pair Quinney and Ayres become national indoor bowls champions
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Indoor Bowls Club pair Carol Quinney and Pauline Ayres have become national champions.
The ladies triumphed in the English Indoor Bowls Association over 60s pairs in Nottingham.
In the semi-final, Quinney and Ayres beat Somerset duo Alisa Midwinter and Teresa King 29-10.
The final was a topsy-turvy affair - their opponents Kath Delacoe and Beryl Alderson, from Redcar, made the better start, and were hotly tipped for the title when they opened up an 8-1 lead after five ends.
But the Wisbech duo scored 13 shots to one mid-game to lead 14-9 after 15 ends.
Redcar bounced back with five shots to level the scores at 14-14 on the 16th end, and it really was anyone’s game from then on.
At 17-16 to Wisbech, Redcar held the shot, and an extra end looked on the cards when Ayres delivered the last bowl of the game.
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 3 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 4 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman
- 5 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 6 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 7 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 8 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 9 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 10 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
But the Wisbech skip managed to juggle the bowls in the head to claim two shots for a 19-16 victory, and the title was theirs.