Wisbech pair Quinney and Ayres become national indoor bowls champions
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Indoor Bowls Club pair Carol Quinney and Pauline Ayres have become national champions.
The ladies triumphed in the English Indoor Bowls Association over 60s pairs in Nottingham.
In the semi-final, Quinney and Ayres beat Somerset duo Alisa Midwinter and Teresa King 29-10.
The final was a topsy-turvy affair - their opponents Kath Delacoe and Beryl Alderson, from Redcar, made the better start, and were hotly tipped for the title when they opened up an 8-1 lead after five ends.
But the Wisbech duo scored 13 shots to one mid-game to lead 14-9 after 15 ends.
You may also want to watch:
Redcar bounced back with five shots to level the scores at 14-14 on the 16th end, and it really was anyone’s game from then on.
At 17-16 to Wisbech, Redcar held the shot, and an extra end looked on the cards when Ayres delivered the last bowl of the game.
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 3 March Town mark long-awaited step five return with opening day defeat
- 4 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 5 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 6 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 7 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 8 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 9 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 10 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
But the Wisbech skip managed to juggle the bowls in the head to claim two shots for a 19-16 victory, and the title was theirs.