Wisbech pair Quinney and Ayres become national indoor bowls champions
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Indoor Bowls Club pair Carol Quinney and Pauline Ayres have become national champions.
The ladies triumphed in the English Indoor Bowls Association over 60s pairs in Nottingham.
In the semi-final, Quinney and Ayres beat Somerset duo Alisa Midwinter and Teresa King 29-10.
The final was a topsy-turvy affair - their opponents Kath Delacoe and Beryl Alderson, from Redcar, made the better start, and were hotly tipped for the title when they opened up an 8-1 lead after five ends.
But the Wisbech duo scored 13 shots to one mid-game to lead 14-9 after 15 ends.
You may also want to watch:
Redcar bounced back with five shots to level the scores at 14-14 on the 16th end, and it really was anyone’s game from then on.
At 17-16 to Wisbech, Redcar held the shot, and an extra end looked on the cards when Ayres delivered the last bowl of the game.
- 1 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 2 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 3 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 4 Rugby club fears vendetta after vandals strike again
- 5 'Big red key' used by cops in dawn raid on suspected drug dealers
- 6 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 7 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 8 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 9 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 10 Tributes to 'loving, kind family man' and community stalwart
But the Wisbech skip managed to juggle the bowls in the head to claim two shots for a 19-16 victory, and the title was theirs.