Wisbech pair Quinney and Ayres become national indoor bowls champions
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Indoor Bowls Club pair Carol Quinney and Pauline Ayres have become national champions.
The ladies triumphed in the English Indoor Bowls Association over 60s pairs in Nottingham.
In the semi-final, Quinney and Ayres beat Somerset duo Alisa Midwinter and Teresa King 29-10.
The final was a topsy-turvy affair - their opponents Kath Delacoe and Beryl Alderson, from Redcar, made the better start, and were hotly tipped for the title when they opened up an 8-1 lead after five ends.
But the Wisbech duo scored 13 shots to one mid-game to lead 14-9 after 15 ends.
You may also want to watch:
Redcar bounced back with five shots to level the scores at 14-14 on the 16th end, and it really was anyone’s game from then on.
At 17-16 to Wisbech, Redcar held the shot, and an extra end looked on the cards when Ayres delivered the last bowl of the game.
- 1 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
- 2 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 3 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 4 Firefighters attempted to resuscitate suspected murder victim
- 5 Commuter chaos as van blaze causes miles of congestion
- 6 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 7 Suspected drink lorry driver threw whiskey and wine bottle from cab
- 8 Count admits he 'must carry personally' some blame for losses
- 9 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
But the Wisbech skip managed to juggle the bowls in the head to claim two shots for a 19-16 victory, and the title was theirs.