Wisbech pip March in pre-season battle of the second teams
WISBECH Town’s second team skittled fierce rivals March II out for just 109 to record a morale-boosting victory ahead of the new cricket season.
Choosing to bat first in the friendly at Harecroft Road, Wisbech made a steady start with Matt Esser (37) and captain Dom Stannard (44) keeping the scoreboard ticking.
But March kept the pressure on their rivals, with Toby Nulty (3-17) and Matthew Hubbard (2-9) the pick of the bowlers.
Matt Pack’s late knock (20 not out) helped the hosts reach 165-8 from their 40 overs - a competitive score on a wicket offering plenty for the bowlers.
March’s reply never got going as Wisbech’s young bowling attack struck regularly to keep the visitors on the back foot.
You may also want to watch:
Wickets were shared around, with Danny Haynes (3-17) and Pack (2-16) the standout performers. Only three March batsmen made it into double figures with Nulty (18) top-scoring as the visitors crashed to a 56-run defeat.
- 1 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 2 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 3 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 4 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 5 Sandbags available ahead as Storm Christoph arrives
- 6 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 7 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 8 ‘Boris should try to fill in the forms if he thinks they’re so simple’
- 9 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 10 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer