Wisbech pip March in pre-season battle of the second teams
WISBECH Town’s second team skittled fierce rivals March II out for just 109 to record a morale-boosting victory ahead of the new cricket season.
Choosing to bat first in the friendly at Harecroft Road, Wisbech made a steady start with Matt Esser (37) and captain Dom Stannard (44) keeping the scoreboard ticking.
But March kept the pressure on their rivals, with Toby Nulty (3-17) and Matthew Hubbard (2-9) the pick of the bowlers.
Matt Pack’s late knock (20 not out) helped the hosts reach 165-8 from their 40 overs - a competitive score on a wicket offering plenty for the bowlers.
March’s reply never got going as Wisbech’s young bowling attack struck regularly to keep the visitors on the back foot.
You may also want to watch:
Wickets were shared around, with Danny Haynes (3-17) and Pack (2-16) the standout performers. Only three March batsmen made it into double figures with Nulty (18) top-scoring as the visitors crashed to a 56-run defeat.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 3 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 4 Diamond celebrations for former mayor and council chairman
- 5 Body found in Wisbech road
- 6 Chatteris firm with £20m growth plan
- 7 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 8 Crash driver four and a half times over drink drive limit
- 9 Dogs to join hounds across the world in global walk
- 10 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens