Wisbech pip March in pre-season battle of the second teams
WISBECH Town’s second team skittled fierce rivals March II out for just 109 to record a morale-boosting victory ahead of the new cricket season.
Choosing to bat first in the friendly at Harecroft Road, Wisbech made a steady start with Matt Esser (37) and captain Dom Stannard (44) keeping the scoreboard ticking.
But March kept the pressure on their rivals, with Toby Nulty (3-17) and Matthew Hubbard (2-9) the pick of the bowlers.
Matt Pack’s late knock (20 not out) helped the hosts reach 165-8 from their 40 overs - a competitive score on a wicket offering plenty for the bowlers.
March’s reply never got going as Wisbech’s young bowling attack struck regularly to keep the visitors on the back foot.
You may also want to watch:
Wickets were shared around, with Danny Haynes (3-17) and Pack (2-16) the standout performers. Only three March batsmen made it into double figures with Nulty (18) top-scoring as the visitors crashed to a 56-run defeat.
- 1 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 2 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 3 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 4 Man who died in road crash is named
- 5 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 6 MP praises 'fantastic' vaccine team after having Covid-19 jab
- 7 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 8 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 9 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 10 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader